• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need Help With An Old Photo Location

threewood

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:58 AM
Reaction score
Below is the graduation picture of my uncles bootcamp. This was in mid 1940 and I believe it to be San Diego, but I don't know for sure. He left from San Diego to Pearl Harbor after bootcamp according to a letter but he may have been trained elsewhere. Anyone possibly know the location? Thanks!
Barney's Naval Graduation crop.jpg

Pretty sure the buildings in the background are the Marine Corps Recruit Depot. Haven't been there since 1981, and never saw the buildings from the Navy side but they shared part of a fenceline.

Thanks! Is that parade deck still there. I've been by MCRD a couple times but never got a good look at it.

The pic below is from the East Coast training center, both of the guys circled in red wound up in San Diego and served in the Pacific Fleet.

George and Joe.jpg

I think I have it nailed down. The photo is from the old training center as you guys said. Looking northeast towards Mission Hills (Old Town). Just off Cushing Road. It's a park now.
Barney's Naval Graduation crop.jpg
ntc3crop.jpg
ntc4crop.jpg
ntc7crop.jpg

Yup.. Looked out at Mission Hills a lot while in Boot Camp... The "Parade Grounds" where actually referred to as "The Grinder" and Seagulls were referred to as "Grinder Birds".... Grinder Birds would take bombing runs over the grinder.... Life started out on the other side of the training center over on "Worm Island" that's the part of the base that backs up to MCRD & is closest to the airport..... After four weeks you would cross the bridge for the last time & move over to the main training center...

Now that was cool to see you guys come together to figure that out. :thumbsup:

Auto Transport Service
Back