• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need help with stamp pad Id

Captuna

Local time
10:17 AM
Reaction score
Bit stumped on this. Any help would be great. it is an E before 440 but none of it makes sense to me.

IMG_20230518_024425305.jpg

Don't know what the backwards, upside down B & C mean, but it's a 1969 model year 440, assembled on July 8th. Casting number on side of block should be before that date. (unless thats an "F" not an "E")

Totally agree with Lefty71.

Some very minor additional information: Starting in 1965 Chrysler used a letter to designate the year. A = 1965, B = 1966 ... So E is 1969.

The 7 8 is the date code for when it was assembled (not when the block was cast). So this is month and day. So your engine was assembled in month 7 (July) on the 8th day, or July 8th, 1969. The casting date will be earlier than this date.

I also do not know what the upside down B and C mean- may have been added later?

I've found that when the letters like the B & C are upside down on the pads that they were usually inspector's marks.

Check this link.....

Tales From the Factory: Matching Pistons and Blocks

I wonder if the upside down stampings somehow correlate or otherwise signify an oversize part(s) used or to be used on this particular block, much the same as the paint marks on the bore sides do??? Or even like copper coated rods for weight match??

Auto Transport Service
Back