• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

need help with tranny swap

That is a type of "bushing" for the input shaft of a manual transmission. Years ago when the cars were new, the crankshaft for most engines had a deeper hole that was fitted with a simple bronze or brass bushing to center the input shaft of the transmission. Over time, it became a habit of engines being fitted with cranks that did NOT have that deep hole machined to size so the workaround was that fat hockey puck looking bushing setup that was fitted into what is normally the recess for the hub of the torque converter.
You can try to pry it out but a method that I've read of is to pack the hole full of axle grease, then take a wooden broomstick handle or something like it that fits into the hole snugly. Tapping the stick with a hammer creates a hydraulic force that supposedly forces that whole "hockey puck" out of position.
I've never done it but have read of several that have. If the broomstick fits tightly, the force of the grease has to go somewhere.
I'd almost want to test this for myself just to actually see it happen.
I tried removing a factory bronze bushing out of a 383 with grease, socket & a dime taped over the end of the socket. After numerous hits with a hammer, all it did was concave the dime. So now I'm out a dime and the bearing hasn't budged. I ended up using a small chisel to break it apart and remove it

I tried removing a factory bronze bushing out of a 383 with grease, socket & a dime taped over the end of the socket. After numerous hits with a hammer, all it did was concave the dime. So now I'm out a dime and the bearing hasn't budged. I ended up using a small chisel to break it
3 jaw puller is on its way, knowing my luck if i tried grease and a rod, I'd end up blasting grease everywhere, way this project is going. its been 2 steps forward, 1 step back.

its out!!!! $18 three jaw puller from Amazon did the job

IMG_20230722_085959.jpg

IMG_20230722_090023.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back