• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need to know if my cam can produce enough vacuum for my brake booster

Najib

Local time
8:24 AM
Reaction score
I got 4:10 gears in the rear and a stage 2 727 trans from patriot trans. And right now rebuilding my 440 bone stock rebuild is my plan however I am debating on a eagle steel crank and some h beam rods, it’s a bone stock 440 30 over, and 906 heads, i want to know if my cam will produce enough vaccine for the break booster my cam is a comp cams thumpr cam flat tappet “Cam and Lifters, Hydraulic Flat Tappet, Advertised Duration 279/296”
I’m also running a 2500 stall coverter
Along with this it’s all being topped off with a tunnel Ram and 600 cfm electric carbs
all of this going in my 73 charger se

I got 4:10 gears in the rear and a stage 2 727 trans from patriot trans. And right now rebuilding my 440 bone stock rebuild is my plan however I am debating on a eagle steel crank and some h beam rods, it’s a bone stock 440 30 over, and 906 heads, i want to know if my cam will produce enough vaccine for the break booster my cam is a comp cams thumpr cam flat tappet “Cam and Lifters, Hydraulic Flat Tappet, Advertised Duration 279/296”
I’m also running a 2500 stall coverter
Along with this it’s all being topped off with a tunnel Ram and 600 cfm electric carbs
all of this going in my 73 charger se
Freudian slip?

What pistons? What compression? Stock could be anywhere between 7.5:1-10:1.

Cam lobe separation (LSA) once you go below 110/109 valve overlap becomes an issue for your vacuum.

Imo..Comp cams Thumper isn't going to run vacuum brakes. Consider a Electric vacuum pump or a master cylinder to ditch the booster.

I did a 454 with the Thumper camshaft and it did not have enough manifold vacuum for a single diaphragm booster. It was in a 1932 Ford truck so with everything under the car you don't have the option of going to a larger diaphragm diameter booster.
I suggest you look at Hydro Boost or electric master systems.

There's also the manual brake option.

Some sort of power assist is best IMO.
There are several posts on this forum from guys with manual systems that are not happy with the manual master.
There are just as many who do not bother with power assist.
Fit what you can live with.

There's also the manual brake option.

Will the breaks work just as fine, I have some roots in UAE and hoping to bring it there for vacation and people drive there like idiots they don’t use stop signs, the lines on the road are non existent to them and they like to dangerous cut you off nearly hitting you by a few inches

Auto Transport Service
Back