• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New ball joints send camber way out?

coffeeguy

Local time
3:18 PM
Reaction score
1970 coronet . I put driver's side upper and lower and passenger side lower in. The passenger camber appears to have remained the same but the driver's side has picked up a lot of negative camber. Torsion bars were backed off and then the adjuster set to the distance they were initially. The were different in how far in initially with pass side at depth of 1.25" and the driver's side 1.525". I put driver's side at 1.25" and it was better but not same as p. side. (Floor to uneven to get accurate ride height so used vernier to get adjuster distance). Car is new so don't know if old owner could have "adjusted " the torsion bar to cover ball joint wear? Is it normal when putting new ball joints that camber would change a noticeable amount.

Did you adjust the cam bolts?

Well.....your gonna need to adjust them, or at least the alignment shop will.

I like corn.

Might be a stupid question but I'm going to ask anyway,
Did you roll the car back and forward to let the suspension settle back into place after having it jacked up?

I only pushed suspension up and down. I am more puzzled as to why the change in camber on the one side(side with both upper and lower replaced) but the other side stayed the same. Is it because I backed the tension bars off?

Anytime you take a tb out or replace lower or upper bushing's, things are going to change. You will need to roll the car back/forth to get the suspension to settle and get to the alignment shop.

Auto Transport Service
Back