• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New best, the inevitable = an upgrade needed

Roughbird72

Local time
10:09 PM
Reaction score
I haven't been on in quite awhile, last post was about going from an 850cfm to 1000cfm carb. Early in the year I made a gear change from 4.10 to 3.91 to bring trap rpm down and it did without performance loss.
I was invited to a prepped TnT at our local track, I did a little tinkering and the air was great. Personal best prior to today was 11.26. I ran a new best of 11.08 @123.25, but on the 5th pass the 8 3/4 inevitable happened.

Who out there has the best deal on Dana 60s!? :lol:

best run.jpg

I checked with Moser, Strange, and maybe another rear axle assembly company and wound up going with Quick Performance for the rear axle assembly for my wife's GTO.
I would definitely check with Quick Performance before you spend your money elsewhere. They saved me $1,000 and that was with quite a few upgrades at extra cost over the cost of the other companies. That was a Ford 9" based rear axle assembly. I already have a Dana 60 in my Roadrunner, it is a Track Pack V-code car.

I'm cheap , Dana from the scrapyard and do it myself. Actually I've run 8 3/4 in cars with similar performance. Never broken one in that context.
Doug

I'm cheap , Dana from the scrapyard and do it myself. Actually I've run 8 3/4 in cars with similar performance. Never broken one in that context.
Doug
Doug, I'm pretty sure I shelled some teeth on the ring gear. It felt and sounded like it. The track operator said the car hooked, went about 4' and shuttered real bad.
One buddy of mine said it sounded horrid.
Jeff

Agreed, probably better to upgrade. I'm to point I've broken 2 sets of Dana gears. Time to step up to a pro-gear. The street gears don't seem to like mid 1.2 60 fts.
Doug

Agreed, probably better to upgrade. I'm to point I've broken 2 sets of Dana gears. Time to step up to a pro-gear. The street gears don't seem to like mid 1.2 60 fts.
Doug
That's probably a good idea for the power level your car is at.

Congrats on the new best. Sorry about the rear. You have enough mph for easy 10.80's as I have run in the 10.80's at 123 mph and 10.70's at 124 mph. Ron

Took the cover off mine yesterday. Found one pinion tooth laying in the bottom of the housing.
Doug

Took the cover off mine yesterday. Found one pinion tooth laying in the bottom of the housing.
Doug
I'm guessing I got a few laying in the bottom of the housing:lol:
I'm not going to dig into mine until after Thanksgiving. Got a few things to do around the house before winter and deer season is coming up.

Auto Transport Service
Back