• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Alaska Airlines Adds New 'Scenic View' Seat For $30 Upgrade Fee

Richard Cranium

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:36 AM
Reaction score
Jan 8, 2024

Article Image

SEATAC, WA — Alaska Airlines has launched a special new "scenic view" seat upgrade where the entire side of the cabin next to your seat is blown out into the sky and you are assaulted with a dramatic atmospheric change that upsets the pressure in the cabin. The luxury experience can be yours for a small $30.00 fee.

"People hate flying and I want to change that," said Alaska Airlines CEO David Grumble. "For a nominal fee, we can blow off part of the plane and give you the ride of your life. Our new 'scenic view' seat upgrade provides a full 180° view of the earth as you hurl past it at 600mph while 40,000 feet in the sky."
"It's exhilarating!"

Customers aboard Alaska Airlines flight 1282, which first introduced the "scenic view" seat assignment, argue the airline is trying to cover up for what was clearly a dangerous malfunction. A sudden hole appeared in the side of the plane and oxygen masks came down to compensate for the lack of atmosphere, suggesting that it was an unplanned occurrence.

"We could have died," said passenger Shelby Rainfield.

"This is just a misunderstanding," said a spokesperson for the airline. "It's all part of the experience."
At publishing time, Alaska Airlines began upgrading passengers to "scenic view" seats for free to entice cautious travellers to fly on their planes again.

I couldn’t or wouldn’t want to imagine that

They said a teenager had his shirt ripped off in the affected row of seats

I would of lost more then that

Those passengers were so fortunate that happened at 16K feet likely with the seatbelt sign still on instead of 30K feet and folks walking about.

They **** their drawers, sitting by that door :carrot:

I can forsee a lawsuit pending too

I've flown Alaska Airlines quite a bit, back in the day
always thought it was a 1st class operation
all up & down the west coast & Hawaii & from Alaska to SoCal

They **** their drawers, sitting by that door :carrot:

I can forsee a lawsuit pending too

I've flown Alaska Airlines quite a bit, back in the day
always thought it was a 1st class operation
all up & down the west coast & Hawaii & from Alaska to SoCal
They are a good airline. This plane was fairly new. Good chance Spirit Aerosytems is getting a good FAA and Boeing talking to right now.

If you have never experienced an explosive Rapid Decompression, then you are in for a shock at how sudden of a change does occur. I have and it isn't fun!!! I have never understood why passengers remove their seatbelts as they do and or not wear them when they are seated at all times. I always briefed them when I was flying with the USAF to do so and even then, they would unbuckle and get up and wander around. As for the aircraft having this occur, Boeing has of late been very lax in their quality control and is cutting corners for profit and shoddy construction. Those door plugs are from the exterior inward and not from the interior outward so they will blow off out whereas if they were an interior plug, the cabin pressure would keep it in place. Weak points are clearly visible in the pictures, Just y'all...wear your damn seatbelts when flying if you do not want to become a flying missile, and even worse...leave the aircraft!!! cr8crshr/Bill:usflag::usflag::usflag:

Yep my buddys wife works for them. He said they only have a couple of those planes and they all have been checked and are flying now. I texted him to see if his wife was on one of those plans. CRAZY Times

Blancolirio is an aviation channel on YT. Juan Brown is a seasoned 767 pilot and is also a general aviation fan. He has a series of three videos about this. Worth checking out!

Yeah, " light in the moccasins " as it were.

What is more worrying is Alaska kept flying after ignoring previous warning lights.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/boeing-737-max-9-alaska-airlines-1.7077113
The Boeing jetliner that suffered an inflight blowout over Oregon was not being used for flights to Hawaii after a warning light that could have indicated a pressurization problem lit up on three different flights, a federal official said Sunday.

Latest incident involving Max aircraft being grounded https://www.axios.com/2024/01/08/boeing-737-max-planes-alaska-airlines-faa-investigation
Why it matters: It's the latest problem to hit Boeing and the 737 MAX, which were previously grounded following crashes in Indonesia and Ethiopia that killed a total of 346 people.

Boeing would be doing much better if it didn't have the idiot CEOs it has had in the last few years.

What is more worrying is Alaska kept flying after ignoring previous warning lights.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/boeing-737-max-9-alaska-airlines-1.7077113

Latest incident involving Max aircraft being grounded https://www.axios.com/2024/01/08/boeing-737-max-planes-alaska-airlines-faa-investigation
How though is it possible the door plug could be related to these prior warning lights, meaning the cabin crew would never have heard any odd loud airstream noises in flight, like a passenger rolling down their window at altitude?
And if bolts indeed were missing, why did it take months for the plug to finally separate? Edit, after watching the suggested previous attached video (#!0), there is a very plausible explanation of "why".
Not sure how many others feel this way, I pay little attention to nearby passengers in flight. If this event happened to me, my first thought would be after the plug left the airplane, somebody went out the hole, and I would have had that thought seared into my brain for over an hour? until we landed and learned officially otherwise.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back