• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Alaska Airlines Adds New 'Scenic View' Seat For $30 Upgrade Fee

Boeing might just pass the blame and claim they didn't build it. Which would be correct, Boeing doesn't make it's own 737 bodies, they buy them from another contractor - Spirit AeroSystems. At any rate, if the bolts were originally installed, they are also to be safety wired. NTSA is going to determine whether they were even there in the first place. Besides the four bolts, there are 12 other connecting points to secure the plug. The bolts are meant to prevent vertical shifting to keep those connecting points from slipping out of place.

Meanwhile:

“The focus needs to turn to Spirit,” said former congressman Peter DeFazio, who chaired the investigating committee. “Boeing has been happy with the crappy stuff from Spirit because it's cheap.”

Loose bolts have already been found in some of the other grounded Max-9 door plugs during the inspections.

Last edited:
How though is it possible the door plug could be related to these prior warning lights, meaning the cabin crew would never have heard any odd loud airstream noises in flight, like a passenger rolling down their window at altitude?
And if bolts indeed were missing, why did it take months for the plug to finally separate?
Not sure how many others feel this way, I pay little attention to nearby passengers in flight. If this event happened to me, my first thought would be after the plug left the airplane, somebody went out the hole, and I would have had that thought seared into my brain for over an hour? until we landed and learned officially otherwise.
The guy in the video in post #10 gives his opinion at minute 15:00 about the warning light. Go to 13:00 for the full explanation.

As far as not hearing it leaking, even with a large leak, it's hard to hear with all the other background noise inside the plane. Also it was behind insulation. If the leak was causing a seal to squeal, that would be about the only way to identify it from the inside with insulation in place.
The leaks are much easier to identify from the outside on the ground with the cabin pressurized with a ground air cart instead of the engines.

As far as not hearing it leaking, even with a large leak, it's hard to hear with all the other background noise inside the plane. Also it was behind insulation. If the leak was causing a seal to squeal, that would be about the only way to identify it from the inside with insulation in place.
The leaks are much easier to identify from the outside on the ground with the cabin pressurized with a ground air cart instead of the engines.
I find both your above contentions implausible, mostly because the source of the potential leak noise source would be a point source in a long aircraft, easy to locate by anyone concerned or bothered and nearly every plane I have flown on since DC6's, one can carry on a normal conversation even with normal outside generated noise. If plane has prior pressurization difficulties, the inadvertent opening had to be somewhat substantial and loud, and at risk of oversimplification, it might be similar situation to the interior noise of a car driven at speed and the very noticeable increase in interior sound when any window is cracked only fractions of an inch.

How though is it possible the door plug could be related to these prior warning lights, meaning the cabin crew would never have heard any odd loud airstream noises in flight, like a passenger rolling down their window at altitude?
And if bolts indeed were missing, why did it take months for the plug to finally separate?
Not sure how many others feel this way, I pay little attention to nearby passengers in flight. If this event happened to me, my first thought would be after the plug left the airplane, somebody went out the hole, and I would have had that thought seared into my brain for over an hour? until we landed and learned officially otherwise

Watch the video in my Post #10 and the door/plug attachment is explained pretty thoroughly. Plus, there was likely little if any additional noise up to the point of separation.

Those passengers were so fortunate that happened at 16K feet likely with the seatbelt sign still on instead of 30K feet and folks walking about.
Luckier still that the bolts were not a little bit stronger/tighter to allow the plane to get to higher altitude.

Watch the video in my Post #10 and the door/plug attachment is explained pretty thoroughly. Plus, there was likely little if any additional noise up to the point of separation.
I agree after watching the video, but then that might suggest prior pressurization issues were unrelated to the door plug, or if the plug was the source, the leaks and noise were very short in nature as the plug bounced slightly on the hinge springs without any of the 4 bolts present?

The flight path shown on the edge of weather/turbulence to jostle the improperly secured plug is also rather telling.

My takeaway on the door plug, its effectively spring loaded into a locking position, and the 4 bolts in question are essentially no more than Un torqued safety pins, held captive by cottered keyed nuts, and maybe never present, correct? The other multi bolt hinge bracket bolts found loose on other aircraft are a still undetermined factor at this point it seems.

Boeing would be doing much better if it didn't have the idiot CEOs it has had in the last few years.
I lean toward thinking a tech based company ought to have a tech based guy as a leader rather than an accountant.

Boeing - we got this.

1704986047289.png

I find both your above contentions implausible, mostly because the source of the potential leak noise source would be a point source in a long aircraft, easy to locate by anyone concerned or bothered and nearly every plane I have flown on since DC6's, one can carry on a normal conversation even with normal outside generated noise. If plane has prior pressurization difficulties, the inadvertent opening had to be somewhat substantial and loud, and at risk of oversimplification, it might be similar situation to the interior noise of a car driven at speed and the very noticeable increase in interior sound when any window is cracked only fractions of an inch.
My statement is based on 20+ years working on airplanes and hundreds of hours fixing cabin air leaks.

Why worry?
It's aircraft rated duct tape.
They do carry duct tape. This was on a UAL 747 half way to China a few years ago. A significant leak started a few hours into the flight.

2009 UAL 1.jpg

2009 UAL 2.jpg

My statement is based on 20+ years working on airplanes and hundreds of hours fixing cabin air leaks.
Well I base my contention on being a 5+ decade well respected audio engineer trained to listen well for anomalies that has spent thousands of hours in jet aircraft flying around the world that where not sitting on the ground being fixed for cabin air leaks.

And all this matters really how?

Well I base my contention on being a 5+ decade well respected audio engineer trained to listen well for anomalies that has spent thousands of hours in jet aircraft flying around the world that where not sitting on the ground being fixed for cabin air leaks.

And all this matters really how?
Because in post 20 you asked how the crew couldn't hear an air leak. And I told you how. But you apparently didn't like my answer.

That quoted question was referring to both of our long list of self-reported professional offsetting accolades we used to justify our position as superior on this matter.

The quoted question still stands IMO.

Boeing CEO Assures Nervous Fliers That All 737 Aircraft Are Built To The Highest Diversity Standards

Jan 10, 2024

Article Image

SEATTLE, WA — Amid growing concerns over safety after several devastating mechanical failures on Boeing 737-9 Max aircraft, Boeing CEO Dave Calhoun assured hesitant travelers that all their aircraft are built according to the highest standards of diversity.

"I know everyone is nervous about the doors of their planes blowing off the aircraft mid-flight or the entire fuselage buckling due to faulty parts, but let me assure you: Boeing is diverse," said Calhoun in a CNBC interview. "In fact, our design and manufacturing crews are the most diverse in our company's history. Nothing to worry about."

Boeing is facing NTSB investigations after several mechanical failures that caused Alaska Airlines to ground all 737-9 Max aircraft. Calhoun said such concerns are unwarranted. "We have women, people of color, and even autistic paraplegics working on the 737," he said. "There's nothing safer than a plane built by diversity!"

At publishing time, 3 more airlines had grounded the aircraft, likely because they hate diversity.

Boeing CEO Assures Nervous Fliers That All 737 Aircraft Are Built To The Highest Diversity Standards

Jan 10, 2024

View attachment 1589395

SEATTLE, WA — Amid growing concerns over safety after several devastating mechanical failures on Boeing 737-9 Max aircraft, Boeing CEO Dave Calhoun assured hesitant travelers that all their aircraft are built according to the highest standards of diversity.

"I know everyone is nervous about the doors of their planes blowing off the aircraft mid-flight or the entire fuselage buckling due to faulty parts, but let me assure you: Boeing is diverse," said Calhoun in a CNBC interview. "In fact, our design and manufacturing crews are the most diverse in our company's history. Nothing to worry about."

Boeing is facing NTSB investigations after several mechanical failures that caused Alaska Airlines to ground all 737-9 Max aircraft. Calhoun said such concerns are unwarranted. "We have women, people of color, and even autistic paraplegics working on the 737," he said. "There's nothing safer than a plane built by diversity!"

At publishing time, 3 more airlines had grounded the aircraft, likely because they hate diversity.
Dude, stop polluting a serious safety issue for own personal agenda.
We all should be super grateful many aren't attending funerals today.

New Boeing Features Larger Lavatories So All-Female Crews Can Go To Bathroom Together

Jan 12, 2024.

Article Image

ARLINGTON, VA — In an announcement that comes on the heels of history-making achievements in flight crew diversity, aerospace giant Boeing has revealed its new aircraft features larger lavatories so all-female crews can go to the bathroom together.

Similar to the celebration of aircraft manned by an all-female crew, the announcement of extra-large bathrooms aboard the new airplanes was hailed as an enormous step forward that will allow these female flight crews to continue the time-honored-yet-mysterious tradition of women traveling to the bathroom in groups.

"Our groundbreaking female crew members have spoken, and we have heard them," said Boeing CEO Dave Calhoun. "Never again shall any female member of our flight crews worry about having to go to the lavatory alone. Why do women do that? I have no idea, but they'll now be able to do it on board our new aircraft."

When reached for comment, a female airline pilot expressed excitement over the decision. "We just keep making history every day it seems," said Captain Nancy Green. "You men will never understand why we all go to the bathroom in groups, but the fact that Boeing has made it possible to do it 35,000 feet above the ground is truly an amazing milestone."

At publishing time, the initial flight of the new Boeing model resulted in unexpected controversy due to calls from terrified passengers after the all-female flight crew left the plane unattended mid-flight to all go to the bathroom together.

Auto Transport Service
Back