• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New build. 505"

....It's gettin' there. Ready to park the car and pull the 440, swap some parts over to the new engine, and drop it in. There will be a small time lag while I wait for new pushrods, and I'll run the heads by the machine shop for a checkup and maybe a slight surfacing. Work's picking up but I might get it done over the next few weeks since it's supposed to cool down into the mid 90s....we'll see!

20200529_130841.jpg

Oh and a friend of mine had bought this fancy balancer bolt for a project last year and never used it, so he donated it to "the cause"...Thanks Rob!

20200529_131336.jpg

Welp.....it's in it's new home!:bananadance:
Got it installed Sunday afternoon. Today, since we get a break from the 100s (only 91 today) and I was done with work early I went for it, and tied up some loose ends and did the break-in. Roared to life on the first crank (first time for everything LOL) and hummed away for 30 minutes. Kept the RPM around 2200-2300 with some runs up to 2500. Temp climbed up to 215 by the end of it, but that didn't worry me. I kept it a touch on the rich side and it was running about 40 BTDC or slightly more when RPM was raised. Oil pressure never went below 55 psi, and that was at the end when it was good n' hot. That's with a HV pump and 15-50 break in oil. This engine has some oil mods and clearances on the loose side which was what I wanted. It wanted to rise with RPM so I'm happy, and pressure jumped up nicely at low RPMs, so the HV pump is doing what I want it to. Set cold lash at .016" per Dwayne (card hot spec is .020) and a check after shutdown revealed...020". @PRHeads nailed it, as usual.. Now, it was just a couple of minutes before I got to it but it was still damn hot, so lash may have opened to .021" but I'm rolling with it for now. Changed oil and filter out while it was nice and runny too.

No flooding, backfires, main seal leaks, engine bay fires, nausea.....Now I can breathe again!
Just gotta put the inner springs back in, triple check the lash and rocker side clearance and get back out on the road:):):)

Last edited:
Nope was looking at gauge reading of 20 hg

Nope was looking at gauge reading of 20 hg
That's about as much as it made, when I brought the RPM up over 2400 the vacuum started to drop back down, but I'll take it! That should help it cruise nicely.

Good numbers their. Motor looks out of this world. Have fun with it. MO POWER!!!!!! :thumbsup:

Will it be making any passes at the track?

Just to say plain jane 383 going into my runner. Just want a drive with a little punch. Running 3:55 gears in the rear. A833 trans. Have a Limited slip rear end to put in latter. Just a 741 chunk rite now. That will get it on the road.

Please let us know how it does. I'm guessing you might get a visit for not having a rollbar. I think it may run under 11.50 if you can hook it up.

So....replaced inner springs. Re-primed it and went through the valve adjustment again, and went for a drive.
tyiu.jpg

This was with a quick basic carb tune, and the distributor needs a new curve...but what a difference. Before, I was running a 440 with the 275XE/HL cam. Now using a solid 282/[email protected] and the idle is smooth yet still sounds like a muscle car. What needs to be noted is, (as I'd hoped for)the solid cam isn't any noisier up top than the fast-ramp hydraulics I've run, and might even be less clackity. Although I didn't rev it to the moon (yet) it feels like it's going to have zero problems going there if called to do so...(don't worry, my FBO box's limiter is set:)!)
Now, I didn't baby it but I didn't totally beat the snot of it either, just some smooth accelerations with a few medium-fast pulls only through about 4000 RPM and coast downs. It revs much faster with more bark than before. With the new 9.5 PTC converter, normal smooth takeoff from a stop light I can feel that it takes an extra few milliseconds to really start to hit off-idle, but after that it just wants to pull like a freight train. A bit more aggressive throttle and I didn't notice. Much better power band.
After I got it back in the garage I checked the temperature at the sender, it read 183 with the IR thermometer within one minute of shutdown. I like it. It was already hot enough out that if the cooling system was gonna struggle, I'd have seen some evidence.

And, thanks to all of ya that offered advice and info. Dwayne @ Porter Racing, Kenny @ PTC and Mike @ Silva's Automotive Machine in Fresno all deserve a shout out! --(and of course Ron @ Hiatt Machine!)
Next couple of days I'll try to get a clip posted with some sound, I know how you guys are....:D

Last edited:
The fast rate hyd stuff often has that “what’s wrong with it?” clacking sound in the valvetrain.
The solid just sounds more like machinery.

And yes, it will easily rev higher than it did with the hyd. You’ll like it!! :steering:

Glad to hear things are working out smoothly.

like Mike Jones says
anything bigger than his 256 torque grind go solid
Fresno
good to know
lots of friends in fresno
I have a cabin on the lake at bass lake
going up there end of the month

Auto Transport Service
Back