• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Corvette

In my opinion the Corvette was one of the Generic Motors to own. C-2, C-3 were more to my liking, after that the Vette went thru some interesting styling cues that didn't do much for me. First time I drove a C-1 Vette I was amazed with the ride and handling... road like a freakin truck and didn't handle that much better. This new member of the family is pretty sexy in my opinion, I'd like to take it around for a few hot laps at Mid-Ohio or Watkins just to see what a mid-engine super car feels like. The only other mid-engine I've driven was the Fiat X19 that just about killed me.. I got the scars to prove it.

53-62 are the solid axle (now called C1) Corvettes, so the ergonomics are all pretty much the same. Yeah, the steering wheel is big, so I have to sit and brake with my legs off to the side - otherwise I hit the steering wheel with my knee!

Back to the new Corvette: GM is gunning for a new, younger crowd. Most Corvette owners (and dreamers of owning a Corvette) are older guys like most of us on this forum; they need to attract a younger crowd to stay viable. Harley Davidson, for example, is struggling because their demographics are the same, and their sales are drying up. The younger generation doesn't seem as interested in HD.

We'll see how it goes. I think it is a pretty awesome car for the price.
Well said!!

Not sure I see the problem. A Ferrari look alike for $80k. I think they’re going to sell a ton of them.

I'd spend a little more money and get a REAL sports car.

WP0AD2A93KS140441_328767756a154558.jpg

That's actually a twin turbo and I think it's about $135,000. The corvette isn't even in the same area code as the Porsche.

GM says the Ferrari 458 had some influence...
Ferrari_458_Spider_-_M5491-RED-6_6b28e703-48af-446f-9633-62ae36c713de_grande.jpg

Take it for a spin around the track...

Last edited:
IMO the Porsche is probably 3 times the fun of the vette.
The Porsche compared to the Corvette is really no comparison. One is a affordable car and the other is a pedigreed well engineered car with a proven record, well made, well executed.
That Corvette will depreciate at a faster rate than the Titanic sunk. The Porsche will not, its apples to oranges.

we don't know what the 2020 Vett C8 depreciation will be "yet"

I'm sure it will be more than a Porsche
of a used 2 or more times the cost/value,
especially a Turbo Porsche, GT, Carrera or Cabriolet etc.

doesn't mean he C8 Vett can't possibly be a good investment
& fun ride

all of it is just speculation right now

I wonder how they compare in insurance rates too

I like the Porsche better too, but it's a lot more $$$

Last edited:
we don't know what the 2020 Vett C8 depreciation will be "yet"

I'm sure it will be more than a Porsche

doesn't mean he C8 Vett can't possibly be a good investment
& fun ride

all of it is just speculation right now
It's a Chevy, never a good investment. That being said, I have driven a few vettes produced in the last 2 decades and they all feel "cheap". The interiors are mostly cheap plastic and they rattle and creak after not much time at all. If you have ever driver a Porsche, like the Mercedes, it feels like quality. While this new vette looks sleek, I am betting it is of the same quality as the rest of the new GM products.

It's a Chevy, never a good investment. That being said, I have driven a few vettes produced in the last 2 decades and they all feel "cheap". The interiors are mostly cheap plastic and they rattle and creak after not much time at all. If you have ever driver a Porsche, like the Mercedes, it feels like quality. While this new vette looks sleek, I am betting it is of the same quality as the rest of the new GM products.
The writers of the above Motor Trend article seemed to like the interior of this Chevy, which they found quieter and preferable to the Porsche:
It's just one of the ways in which the Corvette's cabin is nicer than the 911's, a sentence we feared we'd never get to write. The Corvette's notoriously cheap materials, gaping panel gaps, and persistent smell of glue have all been banished—and this was in an early-build car, no less.

Mercedes are closet junk. Not saying the Porsche is. They’re good quality. Most mechanics will steer you away from the Mercedes tho.....

The writers of the above Motor Trend article seemed to like the interior of this Chevy, which they found quieter and preferable to the Porsche:
It's just one of the ways in which the Corvette's cabin is nicer than the 911's, a sentence we feared we'd never get to write. The Corvette's notoriously cheap materials, gaping panel gaps, and persistent smell of glue have all been banished—and this was in an early-build car, no less.
I guess I am not the only person that noticed how cheap the corvette interiors were. As for being better than a Porsche, I find that highly unlikely. I do know that Motor Trend is not always correct in their reporting. Sometimes I think they get paid by manufacturers for good write-ups. Just look at the MT car and truck of the year articles. Almost always BS.

Mercedes are closet junk. Not saying the Porsche is. They’re good quality. Most mechanics will steer you away from the Mercedes tho.....
I leased a brand new S500 in 2005. The nicest driving car that I have ever owned. I had it for 3 years and not one problem. No complaints except for the $100,000 sticker price.

Motor Trend
:rofl:

Haven't they picked some real "winners" for "Car of the Year"!!!:steering:
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

The C8 is the first Vette I've liked since 1960-1972. Trouble is...a properly optioned C8 is going to crest just over $100k.

I think they're actually trying to dispel the cheapness image. The new interior looks okay to me. Instead of plastic everywhere, if something looks like aluminum, it actually is aluminum. If it looks like leather, it is.
2020-chevrolet-corve-17_800x0w.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back