• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New dash cap, 67 Coronet. Is old one jsut glued on?

TekHousE

Local time
7:16 AM
Reaction score
I have a new dash cap coming. My original one has the typical cracks in it from all the sun over the years. Question before I start attacking it. I am assuming that they are just glued in. Right?

I expect the removal to be a mess, I mean it has been sitting there for 47 years! Any tips for an easy removal would be appreciated.

Are they really glued on?

The dash pad is bolted on from underneath. When the new pad arrives, you should see studs sticking out of it for the nuts and then you will know where they are located to make it easier to get old one off. They are a bit hard to get to...

I don't know? I can't see any screw holes, or..I'm looking in the wrong place. I know mine is original to the car. I just thought the dash caps are so thin, they most likely are not bolted in. But, as I said, I am not really sure. I don't want to break anything, so I am asking first. Does anyone have experience with these?

My dash cap looks like this right now:

|
9818060474_054ae5c4f5_b.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

OK thanks Cranky...:)

I replaced mine with dash in car...as previously stated use new one as guide so you know where to reach. If memory serves me correct it is 3/8 nuts that hold it to dash, It requires patience, dexterity, mixed assortment of extensions, universals and wrenches to get it in. Some are hard to reach.... i had my gauge cluster and glovebox liner out at the time so it was a little easier for me...

Great! Thanks for the tips guys!

I bet it's a tight fit to get at those bolts..Might have to use this as a learning experience for my daughter ;) Her hands are way smaller than mine! LOL She has said she wanted to learn more about muscle cars! ;)

There are 7 nuts to remove for the dash pad and removing the glove box and gauge cluster will really help get to them. There are two nuts that face toward the front of the car and these are located on each end where the dash curves downward. The other 5 face downwards so that's why the glove box and cluster should be removed. 4 will be easily seen once once they are out of the way with 1 being dead center of the dash but is easier to get at through the glove box hole. Once all the nuts are off, pull the bottom corners out and away then lift up on the pad to get it off the top of the dash. If you try to lift the pad first, it won't come off.

They did sell glue on dash caps at one time, replacing with a dash pad is the best way to go, make sure of what you have before starting...The dash pads will have steel liner and studs.

dont get discouraged.the factory nuts are speed nuts and can be very hard to remove.replaced mine with actual nuts to put it back together.

I have a new dash cap coming. My original one has the typical cracks in it from all the sun over the years. Question before I start attacking it. I am assuming that they are just glued in. Right?

I expect the removal to be a mess, I mean it has been sitting there for 47 years! Any tips for an easy removal would be appreciated.

Did you order a replacement dash 'pad' or a 'cap' that goes over your existing dash pad. If you ordered a 'cap', it will come as a hard plastic 'cover' that will go overtop of the existing dash pad. I don't believe the old dash needs to come out of the car to install the cap.

If you ordered a replacement dash pad, then yes...you will remove the old one to install the new one. As mentioned above, it's best to remove the gauge cluster & glove box to access the nuts. Otherwise they may get dropped to never be found. Take pictures and post your trials & tribulations. Not sure anybody has documented this. Good luck!

Did you order a replacement dash 'pad' or a 'cap' that goes over your existing dash pad. If you ordered a 'cap', it will come as a hard plastic 'cover' that will go overtop of the existing dash pad. I don't believe the old dash needs to come out of the car to install the cap.

If you ordered a replacement dash pad, then yes...you will remove the old one to install the new one. As mentioned above, it's best to remove the gauge cluster & glove box to access the nuts. Otherwise they may get dropped to never be found. Take pictures and post your trials & tribulations. Not sure anybody has documented this. Good luck!

Dako is right,
if you bought a cap,
you leave the old pad where it is, remove nothing!
and yes they are glued on!
clean your old pad well (acetone or brake cleaner work) for good adhesion.
then apply the glue and use padded clamps and clamp it down and give the glue the proper set-up time.
caps are cheap and easy, BUT, if you ever want to remove/replace your dash pad in the future, it can make it more difficult (depending on the model).

Guys the 67 coronet does not have a PAD, it only has a cap..At least in my terminlogy the only thing I can call what is there is a CAP. Under what I have now (see the pc above) is METAL. There is nothing 'soft' about any part of it.

I think from 68 onwards they got a softer 'pad' style dash upper. I might be wrong, but going from what I see on my car now (which is original) the replacement I have coming is exactly the same, same thickness, etc.

For the sake of clarity then..

This is what I have coming:

http://www.mrmoparts.net/dash-cap-66-67-b-body-except-charger/

Guys the 67 coronet does not have a PAD, it only has a cap..At least in my terminlogy the only thing I can call what is there is a CAP. Under what I have now (see the pc above) is METAL. There is nothing 'soft' about any part of it.

I think from 68 onwards they got a softer 'pad' style dash upper. I might be wrong, but going from what I see on my car now (which is original) the replacement I have coming is exactly the same, same thickness, etc.

For the sake of clarity then..

This is what I have coming:

http://www.mrmoparts.net/dash-cap-66-67-b-body-except-charger/

For $80, you have a dash 'cap' coming. It will get glued on over top of the existing pad. Dante's is another place that sells them with a better explanation.

Dash Cap: http://www.dantesparts.com/dashcap.html

Dash Pad: http://www.dantesparts.com/dashpad.html

These cars have a metal dash with a 'pad' on the upper edge. The cap you ordered will kind of 'snap' over top of the 'densely' padded portion. That site you listed does not show an accurate photo for the padded 66' dashes.

Yep, good. This is exactly what I want. My car never had a pad, and going on the looks of all of the pads I have seen listed for my year of make, NONE of them look like they will fit my 67 Coronet. I need my car to look exactly like it does now, just without the cracks in the dash cap. ;)

Thanks for all the feedback on this it has been very helpful.

Your car has a dash pad in the picture. I bought the same one for my 67 Belvedere from here:

http://www.beaparts.com/item_detail.aspx?id=1218

The dash cap is a short cut repair, never available from the "factory".The replacement dash pad for $200+ is the closest you will get to a factory appearance. If you want to put your mind at rest call BE&A parts and talk to him on phone, he will answer all your questions...

Old related post from 2009:

http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/mopar...from-B-E-amp-A!&highlight=67+coronet+dash+pad

Tek, you are not going to be happy with a dash cap, the are a cheaper alternative to replacing the pad completely. It will always look like a cheap repair. A new pad will match the quality of your car much better.

I've had both in my hand and the cap just screams cheap repair. Not trying to insult anyone who may have used them.

It's just that you are going to be constantly staring at the cap or pad while driving.

I hear you guys. I agree, I won't be happy. I am going to look at the link clemul posted. I hope shipping is not going to determine things though. :)

OK, new Dash PAD ordered from Mike @ B/E & A Parts.

Thanks for the tip guys! I feel much better, even though I have a dash cap on the way (that I won't be using). I can always offload it at a swap meet.

Good choice, especially for a nice car like yours... If possible maybe you can post some pics and your feedback on quality for others looking to replace their pad and who find this post.I ordered mine a couple of years ago and was very happy with fit and quality., well worth the $$$...

Take some good close up pics of the cap when it comes in. I might be interested in it for a race car. The site you got it from doesn't seem to have a very good pic of it....

Auto Transport Service
Back