• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New exhaust

69 6BBL

Local time
1:15 PM
Reaction score
Hey everybody, So I'm gonna go balls deep on a new exhaust.... Any input would be a great help. Feel free to tell me if I'm nuts. I can take the criticism.

This is on a 69 GTX with a 440, (motor specs will be comin soon) and 4 speed. This motor is already broken in, and runs fine.

Headers: is there any other real choice but TTI? I think I just need to figure out what size.

Pipes will probably be the same, TTI but again, do I go with 3" or the 2.5"? H or X?

HEHE....MUFF's: I like loud stuff, but I want a smooth sound coming from the pipes at the same time...anyone wanna try to guess what this is?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NA9R_u7nQBw&sns=em

I have heard that TTI headers are the best fitting. I couldn't afford them at the time but did spring for their 3" exhaust. I went with Dynomax super turbo mufflers because my neighbor works for Walker and offered to get them for me. I'm happy with the way my car sounds. I'll see if I can post the video.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=G4kZKE6QGMI

67 Coronet 440 with a 66 383wth 67 440 heads. Mopar performance cam. Edelbrach torker ll intake with a Holley 750

Nothing really special. Stock shortblock

Thanks, I've heard nothing but the good about the TTI.

And that sounds good

Hey everybody, So I'm gonna go balls deep on a new exhaust.... Any input would be a great help. Feel free to tell me if I'm nuts. I can take the criticism.

This is on a 69 GTX with a 440, (motor specs will be comin soon) and 4 speed. This motor is already broken in, and runs fine.

Headers: is there any other real choice but TTI? I think I just need to figure out what size.

Pipes will probably be the same, TTI but again, do I go with 3" or the 2.5"? H or X?

HEHE....MUFF's: I like loud stuff, but I want a smooth sound coming from the pipes at the same time...anyone wanna try to guess what this is?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NA9R_u7nQBw&sns=em
Havee TTI's on my 66 Satellite. made my own 3" pipes ( took straight pipe cut it in one spot at an angle then fitted it to under side of car by rotating cut pieces till it went where I wanted it. then into FlowMaster Delta 40's and down spouts. Can not see any of it unless you bend down and look. However - this was built like this so when I got to the track it only took 5 minutes a side to disconnect from headers in one piece and almost that long to put back on. Best for street use would be mufflers of you choice, X pipe, and tail pipes. I am old have two hearing aids after 40 plus years in auto shops and drag strips. And the down spouts keep me from falling asleep! Jerry

Thanks Jerry, I'm still under 30 (barely) but I look forward to being old with dual hearing aids as a result of LOUD vehicles.

:headbang:

Thanks Jerry, I'm still under 30 (barely) but I look forward to being old with dual hearing aids as a result of LOUD vehicles.

:headbang:

Or a pair of these maybe?:headbang:

$T2eC16FHJFoE9nh6m+lpBQScD3sZrQ~~60_1.jpg

the complete TTI setup is super nice, hands down the best headers for a mopar also. i personaly don't really care for the supertubo's that come with the kit though, there a little quiet for my liking (personal preference). any performance big block will benefit from 3" pipes. do the x pipe also if your going all out.

i have TTI headers and exhaust on my RR, fits like a glove.

roadrunnersummer2012003-Copy.jpg

Sure thing. May be late spring/early summer before I get to it, though.

Haha! Maybe if I was back in high school with th ol 88 ram...

:icon_thumright:

- - - Updated - - -

themechanic - would yalet me know if u do that and how u like em. I've still got some time before I decide what I'm going with.

I went all TTi (headers & exhaust) as well. I opted for the 'H' pipe vice the 'X'. The whole reason for connecting both sides is to equal out back pressure. Some motors have been found to respond better to one design over the other...mine happened to be the 'H'. It's also is easier to work with, be it assemby or if you need to work on something later...especially if you only need to open up one side.

The guys at Modern Muscle gave me the best quote...by $150(!) for a complete system. www.modernmuscleperformance.com

It sounds so awesome.

I have heard that TTI headers are the best fitting. I couldn't afford them at the time but did spring for their 3" exhaust. I went with Dynomax super turbo mufflers because my neighbor works for Walker and offered to get them for me. I'm happy with the way my car sounds. I'll see if I can post the video.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=G4kZKE6QGMI

67 Coronet 440 with a 66 383wth 67 440 heads. Mopar performance cam. Edelbrach torker ll intake with a Holley 750

Nothing really special. Stock shortblock

I run a 68 dart with a 400 based 499 engine.
I had the same thought which header would work best for my combo.

ResizedImage_1328582854206.jpg

With the Hooker Super Comps.

Same day switched out to tti's,both are 2 inch headers.
Car ran 9.81,9.82,9.79.

I had the engine out of my 67 Dart street car that ran a best of 10.70 off the juice.
0102111541.jpg

Both are open headers,both are the same day.

Now on to fitment,On my 67 Charger.I have not used tti's,But threw out the years I have owned 4 66-67 Chargers and all have had headers.
I've used Hooker's,Hooker Super Comp's and Headman's.
The only ones I've Had problems with were a set of headman's,I sent them back and the new set installed correctly.

My current set on my 67 Charger are 2 inch Hooker Super Comp's with 3 inch pipe's.
ResizedImage_1350614411057.jpg

No Installation problems.
No X or H pipe yet.
Car runs in the 11.80's
This was a small block car that has had a big block in it a week after i bought it in 1994.

I hope this helps.

- - - Updated - - -

The H-pipe from tti on the 67 Dart had to go to a muffler shop to be installed because the driver's side collector was not welded correctly on and had to be adjusted and short pipe pointed slightly up towards the floorboards.

IMGP0400.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Another complaint about the tti's is why would they have a collector bolt so a bolt would be at the top so the bolt would be at the floorboard,look at the pic of the pipe's.

"...Another complaint about the tti's is why would they have a collector bolt so a bolt would be at the top so the bolt would be at the floorboard,look at the pic of the pipe's...."

Agreed, that bolt/ nut is a pain, but I believe it is done to give a cleaner finish to the bottom of a car...'visually' looks cleaner once assembled, and reduces a 'catch point' i.e.: moving a car on/ off a trailer. I know, "It's only a 1/2 inch". Sometimes that 1/2" can be a show stopper coming on or off the trailer!

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the stories everyone's got on this. Seems everyone likes the TTI's but womanator, but he's got some good concerns pointed out.

Keep it coming.

What about the muffs? Nobody likes talking muff? Anyone got a guess on what is on the rr in the vid in my original post?

Talkin about muffs.... There's an old saying, not sure if it's appropriate here or not but...... No ---- to tuff, we dive at 5 :edgy:

IMO as what i have just done to my 505 charger.

tti headers 1 7/8" 3" pipe x pipe dynomax ultraflo's loud and powerful.

for a mild 440 you can use the 2.5" pipe

On my 67 Charger I'm using 3 chamber Flowmasters.
No matter what engine it has in it, always sounds tough.
Currently it has a 512 ci. engine.

Auto Transport Service
Back