• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New fuel tank and filler tube. The grommet is TOO tight to insert the tube!

KY Jelly is the lube to use on the grommet. It quickly wears away and has no lasting detrimental effect on the rubber.

Do NOT be tempted to use Vaseline.....Vaseline will continue to soften the rubber and eventually make it too weak and ineffective.

Vaseline is also great for new door rubber seals....just be sure to wipe it off after a few days of the door being closed. Once done, the rubbers will behave how they should.

This was written with a totally serious and straight face. :)
We REALLY do NOT want to know what you do with your KY jelly!!

:lol:

All kidding aside, I just used a finger full of valvoline grease from my grease gun. Wiped off the excess and I was good to go.

Well guys, I just learned something. I just pulled and ripped the old grommet out of the old tank. I measured the inner diameter of the seal groove at 2.300". That should work better than the 2.400" that the new one measures. So, I am going to find a different grommet. It looks like the application charts are wrong when they call for the first grommet on 1964 cars. The picture shows the old original on the right compared to the new one that don't fit on the left. In case it matters, the old seal does have a number on it. 2208472. The A Body ones advertised online have a number of 2203473 on them. My old grommet actually looks like the ones that are listed for the A Body cars instead of the B Bodys. But, I believe the size is different. The A Body grommets online show a smaller filler tube diameter.

Well guys, I got it done today. I was correct, the no name seal from EBAY was too thick. As I measured in the previous post, it was NOT gonna work! I ended up ordering a seal from Inline Tube # INL 14517. It was a bit softer, and the groove measured at 2.355" on the I.D. I was able to insert the filler tube while out of the car without even any lube. I did slick it up with light oil when doing the installation. It all went together easy, and I even took the car out for a test drive this evening! I am happy! I also had better luck than I expected with the new pickup tube / sending unit. I will make another thread with my experience with that...

Well guys, I got it done today. I was correct, the no name seal from EBAY was too thick. As I measured in the previous post, it was NOT gonna work! I ended up ordering a seal from Inline Tube # INL 14517. It was a bit softer, and the groove measured at 2.355" on the I.D. I was able to insert the filler tube while out of the car without even any lube. I did slick it up with light oil when doing the installation. It all went together easy, and I even took the car out for a test drive this evening! I am happy! I also had better luck than I expected with the new pickup tube / sending unit. I will make another thread with my experience with that..
DSC01282.JPG DSC01289.JPG

Working on my 64 Fury. I bought a new stainless tank and a new filler tube. The grommet came from ebay. (Too bad all this cannot be bought from the same source....) Anyway, I spent half the day trying to get the darn filler tube into the tank. NO WAY! I finally pulled the tank back out of the car so I could work unobstructed on the bench. It ain't gonna work. I can't force it in even when well lubed with WD40 and light motor oil. The tube fits into the old grommet in the old tank just fine..
Anyway, measured everything with dial calipers. The new tank inlet is 2-1/4" (2.250") The tube is 2". I can slide the grommet onto the tube outside of the tank. The inside diameter of the grommet groove measures 2.400". This makes it too tight to physically insert the tube. I am thinking the no name grommet from e bay is made wrong, and is too thick. (It is listed as working for my application, as well as most Mopars of the 60s and 70s.) Are my tank opening and filler tube diameters correct? You guys know of a grommet that will work for this?
HELP !!! Thanks.
I just swapped the one on my 70 Plymouth. What worked was putting the grommet backwards of how I thought it should go in. Once I reversed it it slipped in pretty easily and doesn’t leak.

Auto Transport Service
Back