• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Garage

If you don't mind me asking, how come there are a mixture of conventional trusses and scissors trusses over the floor space??

047-20-20copy-jpg.jpg

Attachments

• 022-20-20copy-jpg.jpg
    022-20-20copy-jpg.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 189
The scissor truss's align with the garage doors and 8" past. The conventional trusses are at the areas where no garage doors are.
Lift clearance was the original reason but then when I wanted the door tracks to follow the slope it made it wider yet.
Since the doors follow the inside slope the scissor truss's had to be installed a couple inches past each door for the door track clearance.
The flat bottom trusses are also used for additional storage above the ceiling.
Along the sides of the 16' door opening there will be a small soffit (4-5") at the bottom of the conventional truss below the scissor truss's that will create a shelf up high for displaying stuff...
The LH side is set up as a "working" bay and will get used for anything car related...
The RH side is for car storage and clean parts storage.
In building the 70 Satellite and the 69 Dart I found I needed someplace to put parts that were cleaned up and ready to bolt on where they wouldn't get dirty from all the other work that was going on. That's the reason for the wall in the center and this being separated into two small garages...One clean side and one not so much...

So I took some time off of working on this to go to Carlisle...
On the front side I began installing the roof sheathing and finished up the ladder framing at the end truss's.
When I started the sheathing with a 23 7/8" piece that allowed me to have a 2 1/2" gap at the top for the roof vent.
Doing the layout ahead of time meant that the top sheet could just be installed and not have to be cut. By cutting the first sheet in half I ended up with nearly no waste.
thumbs_up.gif

Front side sheathing finished... 1/2 way there...

Attachments
0803172031b.jpg

0803172029b.jpg

0803172029a.jpg

0803172030.jpg

I wasn't happy with the 1' overhang at the back side and added an extra 1' at the ends of the truss's to make a 2' overhang.
All of the climbing around bracing in the rafters made assembling the eaves at both ends difficult but persistence does pay off.
I installed the 2x6 at the fascia and then began installing the roof sheathing on the back side. No big deal right...It's only about 19' down from the bottom edge to the ground...
nervous.gif

Attachments
0811170709b.jpg

0811170710.jpg

0811170711.jpg

0806172001a.jpg

I dropped the extra coin for the "Titanium" roofing paper rather than using felt. This stuff claims it can sit for 180 days before the roofing is installed...I hope mines done in a week...

Attachments
0810171717.jpg

0810171717a.jpg

0810171955.jpg

0810171956b.jpg

While everything above was going on I also needed to get the garage doors openings ready.
I used the white PVC trim around the openings...installed the added 2x6 framing the garage door company requested and added the blocking to the ceiling rafters for the track installation.
thumbs_up.gif

Attachments
0806171959.jpg

0806171959b.jpg

0808170917.jpg

0808170917b.jpg

I decided to wrap the interior 2x6's with aluminum rather than have to paint around the garage door tracks later. It makes for a nice clean install.
The gap between the PVC trim and the aluminum will be covered with the garage door seal trim.
biggrin.gif

Attachments
0811170708.jpg

0811170708a.jpg

0811170708c.jpg

0811170709.jpg

A couple things I noticed when framing this...
A) It's wood...it's seldom straight and not always the same dimension and thickness as the one beside it in the stack.
fan.gif

B) Use string lines from known points and leave those lines up that they can be checked periodically as your building.
twocents.gif

C) Don't let someone talk you into loading the roof with the roof sheathing prior to having the fascia boards on. In the end it's easier to haul it up a ladder than deal with the point loads on the truss's.
catfight.gif

D) It's not any harder to overbuild things rather than cut corners although it does cost a little more.
E) NEVER trust that anything is straight without checking and confirming it.
rant.gif
Lines and lasers are your friends...

Enclosed is a few pics of ways I found to correct some issues I ran into as I was building this.

I do need to give a shout out to my Dad and brother for the help and knowledge that has been shared.
thumbs_up.gif

For now I'm dried in...
boogie.gif

Well... the roof anyway...
frowwn.gif

Attachments
0725171002a.jpg

0811170709a.jpg

0808170918a.jpg

0808170918b.jpg

The metal roof installation occurred Saturday. I found two scratched panels in the delivery so new ones will be delivered this week.
Color is as close as I could get to what I wanted...
thumbs_up.gif

This is the back side less the last panel and the end-cap.

Attachments
0812170957.jpg

0812171043.jpg

0812171136.jpg

0812171137a.jpg

The installers developed a layout on the panels and pre-drilled for the screws on 6 panels at one time.
thumbs_up.gif

Then save the top panel and use that layout for the next six panels.
It makes it easier for their install plus makes all the screws line up perfectly when completed.
bow.gif

It's metal so this stuff is never perfect but I think it looks great...and now I'm about 90% dried in...
boogie.gif

Attachments
0812171203.jpg

0812171204.jpg

0812171243a.jpg

0812171342b.jpg

Total installation time was only about 5 hours for the metal roofing...
shock.gif

That let me work on installing the tyvek on the back side and I managed to get the one window on the South elevation installed.
All in all a very productive day...
thumbs_up.gif

Attachments
0812171342.jpg

0812171602.jpg

0812171602a.jpg

0812171603.jpg

Super garage! Looking great! Hope to be fortunate enough to have one that big one day!

The rest of the roof metal was installed Saturday...
I know it doesn't look like much but I got all of the wood framing finished for the 36" soffit at the front.
I moved over to the east elevation and installed the home wrap and the window and door.
I picked up all of the siding...soffit and J trims this morning.
I need to p/u 6 4" round light boxes to install for the exterior sconces at the front wall and at all of the doors.
Tonight the transmission comes out of the 69 Dart to fix a broken flex plate and install a slightly bigger convertor.
whistling.gif

I won't be back into this until Wednesday.
mad.gif

Attachments
0820171408.jpg

The windows, door frame and the door sill were set in a bed of silicone sealant.
The inside gaps were then caulked back to the wood framing.
The bottoms of the windows were not caulked on the outside so as to not trap water if it were to penetrate the window frames.
Window's were purchased with the J channel for the siding already incorporated into the frames.
Door frames were ordered for 2x6 walls with extended jambs and the PVC trim and frame assembly that is designed to not rot out.
thumbs_up.gif

Attachments
0821171150.jpg

0821171149.jpg

0821171150a.jpg

0821171152.jpg

Last edited:
A couple pics of the soffit framing and a stack of siding and soffit that will be the next phase to begin.
runaway.gif

All siding and soffit are Mastic Products.
Color for the siding is "Harbor Grey".
Grey J channel will be used on the ends with eaves under the soffit and around the door frames while white soffit trim will be used at the front and rear elevations at the rear of the soffit.
I'm going to make all of the exterior fascia and soffit trim using the .040 aluminum typical to the inside at the garage doors rather than the thin rolled products readily available.
I have some pretty neat materials ordered for the front elevation...no maintenance at all...
boogie.gif

I'll post pics once they come in...
Garage door supplier was on site and measured the openings after the trim installation so once they arrive they will be installed also.
boogie.gif

Attachments
0821171148b.jpg

0821171148c.jpg

0821171148.jpg

0821171148a.jpg

nice very nice looking very good
:thumbsup:

The garage door install is scheduled for Monday and Tuesday...
boogie.gif

I spent all last night installing all of the light boxes and the siding blocks for the electrical devices.
Set the laser up and shot all 4 elevations with a control line to measure from.
I was able to start installing the siding tonight on the east elevation.
I'll continue with the back tomorrow and then fall back and finish the eave above.
thumbs_up.gif

It's hard to beat using the windows with the J trim for the siding incorporated around them. Turns out to be a really clean finish...

Attachments
0825172005.jpg

0825172004.jpg

0825172005a.jpg

0825172005b.jpg

Your garage is looking amazing now. Congrats on doing the bulk of the work yourself - and with family helping it makes the job more satisfying. I too will be 'donkey-deep' in a smaller scale resto at home, so I have enjoyed reading your progress....along with the other outstanding building projects posted here over the last year. :thumbsup:

Auto Transport Service
Back