• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Garage

Thx...
I installed the gutter at the front elevation on Saturday morning. This is a much better system than what I had installed many years ago.
I mocked up 3 "story pole" posts at the correct elevations and attached them to the scaffolding. Two of us lifted it up and sat it on the posts easy peasy.
I was able to get 1" of fall from right to left without it being terribly noticeable. I only mocked up the downspout as I needed to move it out some in case it rains before I get everything connected together.
It wasn't up 10 minutes before the wife came outside and complained about seeing the attachment brackets...
runaway.gif

Guess I'll be installing the leaf guard after all...
rant.gif

Attachments
1007171603.jpg

1007171603a.jpg

1007171603b.jpg

1007171603c.jpg

Thx...
Snow guards my a$$ they're friggen leaf catchers...
rant.gif

Well anyway the leaf guards were ordered Monday and once installed I can tear down the scaffolding on the front.
I did get a few more pics...the gutter slope isn't too noticeable...
Still waiting on the brick to arrive...guess then I'll get to wait on the mason too...
Attachments
1009171046.jpg

1009171047.jpg

1009171049.jpg

I need the ones for 6" gutter...The one's I ordered are very similar to those...100' in a box (25 pcs) carton quantity only as they don't sell them as singles...ended up being $100.00 so at $1.00 per ft I guess that's not too bad...can't wait to get them on and be done looking at scaffolding...

I need the ones for 6" gutter...The one's I ordered are very similar to those...100' in a box (25 pcs) carton quantity only as they don't sell them as singles...ended up being $100.00 so at $1.00 per ft I guess that's not too bad...can't wait to get them on and be done looking at scaffolding...
They have them. I picked 5" that's what I needed. The only don't know how they would work on your metal roof.
https://www.costco.com/EasyOn-Gutterguard-6”-Version-–-100'.product.100278479.html

Since I was basically just waiting for the leaf guards and had loaned out a piece of scaffolding from the one I had out back I didn't really have anything to work on on the exterior...I went ahead and started adding the 6" wood walls around the porch.
Scaffold came back Saturday and I completed the fascia, snow rail and gutter on the rear elevation.
Eventually in front of the wood walls will be a 6' wide ramp that will lead to the basement and the existing shed.
Just one more little piece of the puzzle finished...
thumbs_up.gif

first pic is a before shot...

Attachments
1005171855.jpg

1014171744a.jpg

1016170819.jpg

1014171745.jpg

Here's the rest of the pics...I only have 2 more walls to go. From the corner you see at the left back 5' 6" at a 45 degree angle towards the garage and then one more 45 degree corner to against the foundation. I can finish this once the underground pipe for the Storm Water Management is installed.

On a side note when building these do not mix wood you bought a year ago and new wood unless you can keep the rows the same...The new wood is so wet it is about 1/8" higher per board than what has dried out.
rant.gif

Attachments
1014171806.jpg

1016170820.jpg

I worked on the west side and removed all of bracing for the temporary platform and installed the starter strip...tyvek and the last row of siding. I ended up with the bottom row of the siding 3/4" of an inch below the exterior sheathing...A little silicone inside the gap and I should have no bug or moisture problems...
Picked up a cube of Brick on Thursday for the front elevation...May say screw it and install myself rather than wait on the mason...
work.gif

Last pic is the brick on the front of the house...I wanted them to match but that brick has been out of production since 2000. Its similar to but different than what I have...I can live with it...

Attachments
1019171743.jpg

1023170731.jpg

1019171237a.jpg

1019170954.jpg

Friday...Saturday and Sunday it was back to doing the ground work for the wood retaining walls and connecting the rain gutter piping together. I dug the trench for the piping and added the fall so it will drain...Damn thing need to be a little better than 3' in the ground where I had the extra dirt piled up...
rant.gif

Really only about a foot deep after final grade is established...

Attachments
1021171512.jpg

1021171512a.jpg

1021171513.jpg

1021171524.jpg

Added the wood walls and started putting all the dirt I just dug out into the flower beds...
Digging and tamping dirt is really a younger mans game...
runaway.gif

Hauling around wet 4x6's is no cakewalk either...
biggrin.gif

Looks like I'll be adding a small section of landscape blocks in the corner the hide the tar on the foundation...
work.gif

Attachments
1021171739.jpg

1021171827.jpg

1023170732b.jpg

1023170733.jpg

Your garage is really coming along, the deck really added to the appeal and I'm sure the brick will do so even more. Looking great:thumbsup:

Your garage is really coming along, the deck really added to the appeal and I'm sure the brick will do so even more. Looking great:thumbsup:

Thx...I picked up the leaf guards today and got the front and the back completely installed...started tearing down the scaffolding and it was dark...:BangHead:
Just not enough daylight in the day right now...:mad:

Thx...I picked up the leaf guards today and got the front and the back completely installed...started tearing down the scaffolding and it was dark...:BangHead:
Just not enough daylight in the day right now...:mad:
Your telling me, I wake up at 4:30 am and get home from work at 4:30-5:00, eat and am lucky to have 2 hours left and it will only get worse from here. This weekend I start the addition before it gets any colder or days shorter.

I've been lucky as the boss will allow me to start working early and get finished up so I have a little more time at night... The front gutter is tied in to the Storm Water Management system...once I get the back scaffold down at the corner I can tie in the rear.

Attachments
1026171656.jpg

1023171519.jpg

1023171520.jpg

1023171520a.jpg

Here is a pic of how I tied the wood walls into the foundation to keep anything from moving. These 12 gauge steel clips we use at work and work perfect to tie in the wood also.
Maybe the best pic I have been able to take of the front...much better without the scaffolds...
thumbs_up.gif

Prior to finishing up working on this before winter I would still like to:
Get brick completed at the front...
Install posts at the back for the porch and stairs to the basement...
Install the bottom layer of Tyvek and siding...
Install basement windows and bars...
Install basement door and light above door...

At that point everything is sealed up tight and can be locked up...
I still have a full kitchen remodel to complete for the wife...
runaway.gif

Attachments
1023171518.jpg

1027170755a.jpg

1027170755.jpg

I had to switch gears and begin working on the back porch where the stairs will be to the basement.
In walking out the back door the distance to the bottom door is too close to run the stairs straight down along the back wall. I wanted to use a typical 7.5/12 stair riser and tread.
There will now be a small area 5' wide and 4 1/2 foot long that will be the landing and then 2 steps down to an 8' long landing 3' wide with with two steps down to a corner landing with the balance of steps running down the wall towards the door.
I installed the two posts for the 3' by 8' landing on Saturday.
Pressure treated 6"x6"x16' posts buried 32" in the ground in Quickcrete.
I used 3" of gravel under the posts and will add some more Quickcrete at the top to head water away from the post bases.
Pics are a little hard to follow until I finish removing all the bracing for the temporary platform around the outside...

Did I mention this was built on a hill???
runaway.gif

Attachments
1029171107.jpg

1029171110.jpg

1029171111.jpg

1029171111a.jpg

Did I hear kitchen remodel :eek:..... Has your wife been snooping around on FBBO and learned that it's perfect timing to guilt your husband into a remodel while he's building a garage? I feel for you haha.

Kev...Here's an excerpt from post # 38 back on page 2...
"Y'all remember Murphy's Law???
I just got a refresher course...
So I order the entire wood package for the wall framing...3 days later I find I have had a bad dishwasher leak that was leaking under the new (5 year old) flooring and the cabinets in my kitchen...
rant.gif

So the package comes and I stack everything on the slab where I want it...
thumbs_up.gif

Seeing as how I'm a$$hole deep into the middle of replacing flooring and cabinets in the kitchen I decide to wait till the rainy season is over before starting framing...
Meanwhile I'm looking at the kitchen thinking..."Boy now would be the time to knock out a wall and make everything open concept"..."maybe a new glass tile back splash and all new counter tops with low voltage lighting underneath"..."new Hickory cabinets and LVP flooring"...
One of these days I'll learn to not think out loud...
fan-gif.gif

Of course the Kitchen-witch loves all of this and needless to say she gets what she wants...
realcrazy.gif

So now I have the kitchen "nearly" put back together enough to live in...Dad decides its time to start framing the garage...
tired.gif
"

I knocked down the ceiling high walls as none of them were load bearing...built new low walls around the stairs and re routed a bunch of wiring and installed all new LED can lighting in the ceiling. I put all new LVP Hickory flooring in and set a few bottom cabinets in place and called it good for the summer.
Soon I will have to finish installing the cabinets and the bulkhead above them...finish the under cabinet low voltage lighting and then paint everything and reinstall all of the trim. We changed the layout and added a few extra base and upper cabinets...Now she wants a glass tile back splash and I have all new Black Stainless Refrigerator...stove...dishwasher and microwave to install...
1st pic is what it used to be from the front door looking to the back...
2nd pic is of the same wall from the kitchen side looking forward...
3rd pic is the new low wall from the kitchen side looking forward...
4th pic is the new low wall from the front door looking back...
5th pic is from the front looking back with some new floor and drywall... The double doors you see also end up getting replaced...
6th pic is the new floor and cabinets...
7th is the low voltage lighting under the cabinets...

3.jpg 9.jpg 21.jpg 28.jpg 278.jpg 472.jpg 015.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back