• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Garage

Kev...Here's an excerpt from post # 38 back on page 2...
"Y'all remember Murphy's Law???
I just got a refresher course...
So I order the entire wood package for the wall framing...3 days later I find I have had a bad dishwasher leak that was leaking under the new (5 year old) flooring and the cabinets in my kitchen...
rant.gif

So the package comes and I stack everything on the slab where I want it...
thumbs_up.gif

Seeing as how I'm a$$hole deep into the middle of replacing flooring and cabinets in the kitchen I decide to wait till the rainy season is over before starting framing...
Meanwhile I'm looking at the kitchen thinking..."Boy now would be the time to knock out a wall and make everything open concept"..."maybe a new glass tile back splash and all new counter tops with low voltage lighting underneath"..."new Hickory cabinets and LVP flooring"...
One of these days I'll learn to not think out loud... View attachment 534693
Of course the Kitchen-witch loves all of this and needless to say she gets what she wants...
realcrazy.gif

So now I have the kitchen "nearly" put back together enough to live in...Dad decides its time to start framing the garage...
tired.gif
"

I knocked down the ceiling high walls as none of them were load bearing...built new low walls around the stairs and re routed a bunch of wiring and installed all new LED can lighting in the ceiling. I put all new LVP Hickory flooring in and set a few bottom cabinets in place and called it good for the summer.
Soon I will have to finish installing the cabinets and the bulkhead above them...finish the under cabinet low voltage lighting and then paint everything and reinstall all of the trim. We changed the layout and added a few extra base and upper cabinets...Now she wants a glass tile back splash and I have all new Black Stainless Refrigerator...stove...dishwasher and microwave to install...
1st pic is what it used to be from the front door looking to the back...
2nd pic is of the same wall from the kitchen side looking forward...
3rd pic is the new low wall from the kitchen side looking forward...
4th pic is the new low wall from the front door looking back...
5th pic is from the front looking back with some new floor and drywall... The double doors you see also end up getting replaced...
6th pic is the new floor and cabinets...
7th is the low voltage lighting under the cabinets...

View attachment 534677 View attachment 534678 View attachment 534680 View attachment 534681 View attachment 534682 View attachment 534689 View attachment 534692
LMAO, self inflicted torture!!! So you did it to yourself, mine started out as us not liking our floor and it didn't stop.

Guilty as charged and I have a new open plan layout to prove it...:BangHead:
I figured why not take a bad event and try to make it something positive...I'd say it'll help a lot for future resale...hope the kids enjoy the money since I have no plans for going anywhere...:D

I managed to get the next part of this completed...
County said I needed to install a Storm Water Management Pond.
Everything had to be completed prior to an Occupancy permit being issued...
Not a big deal... just another PITA hurdle to complete...

1101171233b.jpg 1101171715.jpg 1102171623c.jpg 1103171123.jpg 1103171249.jpg 1103171352.jpg

I was forced to build so many of those damn things back when I was doing residential construction. God I forgot about that! At least they let you just build a trench and not a pond.

Tomorrow I’ll shoot by a small 4 house job near me and show you what they did to that poor bastard.

Man do I feel for you guys!!! No regulations or B.S. to deal with here, been clearing brush and burning a big fire every night and not a peep. Couldn't imagine having to answer to someone on every single job... It's gotta suck.

Thx...
I installed the gutter at the front elevation on Saturday morning. This is a much better system than what I had installed many years ago.
I mocked up 3 "story pole" posts at the correct elevations and attached them to the scaffolding. Two of us lifted it up and sat it on the posts easy peasy.
I was able to get 1" of fall from right to left without it being terribly noticeable. I only mocked up the downspout as I needed to move it out some in case it rains before I get everything connected together.
It wasn't up 10 minutes before the wife came outside and complained about seeing the attachment brackets...
runaway.gif

Guess I'll be installing the leaf guard after all...
rant.gif

Attachments
View attachment 525213

View attachment 525214

View attachment 525215

View attachment 525216
THE better-half——gotta love ‘em & hate em at times. She’ll never show up there until it’s time for window drapes?

So these poor bastards are building 4 homes in an established neighborhood. 1 acre minimum and home values around $500k - $800k. See that in the picture? Huge detention pond... right on top of the houses... bye bye back yard.

Had to cut $100k out of each of those home values.

D9197DB9-53EF-4D73-818E-2B7063F4872D.jpeg

I didn't worry about adding the pond.
Bottom line was I told them I was building a garage...do what they need to do to be compliant...but I'm building a garage...
I'll do some plantings in the spring and finish the landscaping work outside...probably add a little topsoil and hydro-seed...
In the end I'll have less grass to mow so in a way its a win...
I'm going to slide the existing shed back about 6' and make more room for a 60" brick paver sidewalk that will circle around the shed and down to the basement door...
I'm not doing anything to it right now...
Its locked up and everything is protected from the weather for the winter...right now it's about paying everything down as far as I can as the goal for the garage was to be in debt for the shortest amount of time as possible...
I just realized the other day I put the Satellite in the shed up top with the cover on it Labor Day w/e and haven't so much as pulled the cover off since then...
I need to break the habit of buying things that are of a higher grade...I took a pretty good hit to the budget but in the end I guess it beats using something cheaper and having to replace it in a few years...

The inside is where its going to get interesting...I've got several things I've bought up and haven't disclosed yet...A few things are planned for storage and display that are things I haven't seen done yet...most is still in the idea stages...I need to find a way to work out the details...
The bay to the left is a working bay that will be about 17' 6" wide and about 27' long...This will house all of the bigger tools and a car and will be the only "working bay"...
The other side will be the 4 post lift with storage for the other 3 cars and some type of display for all of the trophies from my dirt track racing years back...cabinets for clean parts storage...along with a few other tricks I have up my sleeve...
Basement will house the heating system and the air compressor along with a ton of extra parts I currently have in storage and the shed up by the road...
I honestly think it will take two more full summers of work to put everything together and get it all organized...
Be patient but I'll get there...

I like the sounds of it, also sounds familiar lol. I totally get the whole idea of short term debt vs upgrading:rolleyes:. In the same boat, after getting the funds I decided a second story was needed then an addition.....
I'm interested to see what you do with the trophy collection, been thinking the same thing for mine. My daughter is always peaking in our attic looking at my trophies from my years of motocross and thinks they'e cool so I'd like to put them in the garage but don't want the hassle of dusting them off:realcrazy:.. plexiglass case maybe?

Garage is looking great!

AND at least with no pond there won’t be any of those damn Canadian geese laying around!

I received the final approved as-built drawings back from the County today for the Storm Water Management System.
boogie.gif

Basically it stores all of the garage roof water and then drains it slowly back out.
eyes.gif

The money spent on this alone could've easily been an A body driver to kick the guts out of...maybe even a Fat B...
biggrin.gif

Attachments
1103171352a.jpg

1120170855a.jpg

1212171414.jpg

0125181334.jpg

:thumbsup: Awesome... as in it's done not the extra cost!! Back to the real work of building.

Devin there was a bit of a caveat...
Final paperwork came...the next day the bill for the site survey and as built drawings came...another $1,350.00 spent on chit paper...:mad:

Just makes you want to....:BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:
Better yet...:elmer::elmer:

Up here in PA we have to put a pit in for roof water, house or garage doesn't matter.

At least that's all under ground, concrete box with ballast rock all around.

Auto Transport Service
Back