• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Garage

So the weekend framing went well considering the heat.
OzBBQed.gif

Back wall is nearly finished and the far side wall framing is continuing.
runaway.gif

Truss supplier is scheduled to field measure on Wednesday.
thumbs_up.gif

Attachments
031%20-%20Copy.jpg

035%20-%20Copy.jpg

039.jpg

040.jpg

We framed the front wall for a few hours yesterday.
Bearing plates at the end of the lintels were established at 6" and 4 jack studs were installed.
I'd say another part of a day installing the LVL lintels at the front doors and the sheathing and its ready for truss's.
boogie.gif

Attachments
042.jpg

045.jpg

052.jpg

053.jpg

So with the lintels installed the studding above was completed and OSB sheeting installation was ongoing when the rains came...Glad the drainage ditch I put in did what it was supposed to do...
thumbs_up.gif

Need to install about 3 1/2 more pieces of OSB and all the wall framing will be complete.
boogie.gif

Truss engineer was on site yesterday to measure for the truss's...they should go into production today and will have about a 10 working day lead time until delivery.
After speaking with the truss rep I had the end trusses changed to a "drop down".
Basically they will stand on top of the framing with the top of them being flush with the bottom of the adjacent truss's. This allows for a 2x6 (same as the top chord on the trusses) to bypass the end truss while fastened to the first flatbottom truss and create a 16" overhang on each end of the building.
The overhand at the front will be 3' in attempt to maybe keep a big snow away from the garage doors while the back will be the typical 12".

Attachments
002.jpg

004.jpg

006.jpg

011.jpg

I like how a lot of water just disappears now rather than sitting around in a big puddle...
thumbs_up.gif

In the meantime I can pick up the hurricane clips for the trusses and begin their layout on top of the walls.
Maybe have some time to start getting stuff ready for Carlisle...
work.gif

Attachments
013.jpg

Here is a picture of the truss layout...
Areas above the garage doors and 9" to each side with truss's highlighted in red will be cathedral ceiling.
Areas highlighted in green are flat bottom trusses with a ceiling height of 10'.
The change allows for about 3' 6" or so of added height at the areas of the garage doors where the lift is to be installed.
Garage doors are out for pricing now with the wall mounted opener...R-17 insulated doors with Stockford 3 windows in the 3rd row from the bottom...the track profile to follow the cathedral ceiling roof line similar to the 2nd pic.
(Pic stolen from Stu...)
thumbs_up.gif

Attachments
Truss%20layout.png

8456829-RoofPitchgaragedoorinstall003.jpg

Great progress, looking good:thumbsup:.

I know what your saying about drainage! Been fighting runoff every since breaking ground but finally have grass growing again and still need a diversion of some sort.
What kind of doors did you go with? The R17 Haas doors I installed are really nice units, very well built and look great.

Got any good pictures of that retaining wall.... holy cow is that a wall!

Everything I've done here has been in phases preparing to eventually have a garage.
The large wall was built in 2011 and the small garage added at the top to keep my 70 Satellite in.
Where I have been adding gravel in front of the garage now is actually to the top of the 3rd row of blocks.
I thought it was a waste to bury two rows but with the incline and the height the builder of the wall insisted it was needed. There was geo-grid installed every two rows vertically...It wasn't particularly cheap but it did make the property I had usable where it wasn't before.
I now have an area large enough to store my open and box trailer plus have the small garage at the road level. Not to mention a little extra for cars to part out. And eventually a 4 car garage sometime in the future...

1525.jpg 1545.jpg 1546.jpg 1548.jpg 1549.jpg 1550.jpg

Turned out great, the arch really gives it a nice look plus I'm sure adds a ton of resistance to pushing out. Nice job

All of the exterior OSB sheathing is installed. I managed to put another 8 tons of gravel in front of the garage and raise everything up to about 2" below final finished elevation. I want to install the concrete aprons in front and then I'll top everything off.
Truss's are to be delivered on Thursday the 29th. I have a crane scheduled for Saturday to set all of the truss's. The balance of the material order for the roofing components was completed and sent out this morning. Decided to install 5/8" sheathing and a synthetic roofing underlayment (similar to roof felt) and going with a new metal roof.
I got the quote back for the garage doors...and will be installing two Liftmaster 8500 shaft openers.
Managed to find a couple new tools to add in once its completed. A friend got hard up for cash and I got a good deal...

011 - Copy.jpg 003 - Copy.jpg 004 - Copy.jpg 005 - Copy.jpg

The truss's and materials were delivered on the 29th as promised. Crane was here Saturday morning for about 3 1/2 hours and set the truss's.

Attachments
013%20-%20Copy.jpg

015%20-%20Copy.jpg

019%20-%20Copy.jpg

020%20-%20Copy.jpg

It worked out real well just lowering the trusses into the hurricane clips as that made for no layout...Not really a time consuming job but there was a lot of climbing around to frame the temporary shoring for the truss's...
runaway.gif

I was able to stock 32 sheets of OSB on the roof...That sure beats sliding them up a ladder...
thumbs_up.gif

Attachments
022%20-%20Copy.jpg

024%20-%20Copy%20%282%29.jpg

027%20-%20Copy%20%282%29.jpg

031%20-%20Copy%20%282%29.jpg

I can't thank the friends and family that came by to help with installing the truss's enough.
It was a pretty hot day and the site is somewhat tricky to negotiate...
I did manage to get about 3/4 of the bracing completed and installed the ledger board at the front yesterday. Chalked a line from end to end and began the roof sheeting...
Just might take tonight off after a brutal day of working in the heat all day...
rant.gif

Attachments
034%20-%20Copy.jpg

039%20-%20Copy.jpg

043%20-%20Copy.jpg

048%20-%20Copy.jpg

I like that I have 10' high walls and ceilings. Using the cathedral truss's I get 13' to the peak and with the extended overhang in front it doesn't look like a big commercial garage in a residential area...
thumbs_up.gif

A few pics from the inside...

Attachments
045%20-%20Copy.jpg

046%20-%20Copy.jpg

047%20-%20Copy.jpg

very nice I didnt have a crane when I had done mine all *** and back :eek:

My truss's weighed 130 pound on the Cathedrals and 138 on the flat bottoms. Setting them by hand could've been done but I don't think I would have wanted the Hurricane clips installed first since they may tend to get in the way...
Either way it still takes a few extra hands...

I hear you ,I didn't have a choice my wife and I built mine by our selves ,you how it goes you help all your friends build theirs and when it time for you no one is around :wtf:

Even bigger is not enough

Auto Transport Service
Back