• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Garage

I finished all of the floor patching and installed all of the extra subfloor where the new flooring was to be installed. The carpeting in the hallway was removed and the flooring throughout had new LVP flooring installed from the kitchen through the living room to the front door and down the hallway.
The double door at the rear deck was replaced with a new french door that opens on both sides.
New cabinets were opened up and kitchen items were stored in them while work continued...

266.jpg 270.jpg 272.jpg 273.jpg 008.jpg 016 - Copy.jpg 283.jpg

I installed the new upper cabinets...new low voltage lighting and started framing a bulkhead above them...

This is about where Dad decided to start framing the garage and basically all work stopped as it was livable but no where near completed...

009.jpg 011.jpg 012.jpg 290.jpg

Last edited:
Enter fall 2019 and its time to get this monkey off of my back...

I installed the balance of all of the wood base and all of the trim around the new 4' high wall around the stairs to the basement...Floor plan is completely opened up...removed all of the furniture and covered the floors for wall and ceiling paint in the kitchen...living room and hallway...finished framing the bulkhead above the cabinets and did the final install on all of the kitchen upper cabinets along with the new refrigerator...microwave and stove.

IMG_1179.JPG IMG_1181.JPG IMG_1189.JPG IMG_1210.JPG IMG_1223.JPG IMG_1225.JPG

I like the open floor plan much better then what was originally there...

I ended up skimming all of the walls and the ceiling with new mud due to a terrible painting job before I bought it...

Might have missed on the kitchen color a little but I'm not changing it now...It's a ton better than the dark cranberry color that was there...

I still need to finish setting the base cabinets so I can get dimensions for the countertops...install some crown molding at the top cabinets and then complete the new porcelain backsplash once the countertops are sorted out...

The biggest part of the dust and dirt and mess is behind me...finishing a few more things should be a lot easier...

New wall sconces and ceiling lights are all installed and finished...Living room and hallway are 100% finished...paintings are all back on the walls and 95% of all of the mess is behind me...I guess 2019 ended on a good note...

IMG_1215.JPG IMG_1214.JPG IMG_1212.JPG IMG_1222.JPG IMG_1209.JPG IMG_1221.JPG

So since the weather is a little warmer I have been able to get outside and start doing a few things that needed done...

Outside of a few trips to Lowe's and the market today is 42 days at home...

Been knocking projects down left and right but the cold weather isn't helping very much...

Picked up about 30 new perennials for planting but as of now they're still in the house...

All the planting beds are edged...cleaned and waiting on warmer temps to plant and then mulch everything...

All the power washing is done...

I've cut the grass 3 times...

I most recently tore out an old half-a$$ed set of steps and replaced them...

Also added a hose reel instead of it laying on the ground...

When the temperature comes up I have some staining I can do...

IMG_1277.JPG IMG_1312.JPG IMG_1332.JPG IMG_1331.JPG IMG_1338.JPG

I got top soil down and then a layer of mulch...gonna have to wait till it is a little warmer to plant the new perennials...

That section of yard and the steps is finished...now on to something else...:screwy:

IMG_1339.JPG IMG_1343.JPG IMG_1342.JPG

The next thing was a wood wall and a handrail to extend my parking area in front of the garage...

This area was just sloped and then turned into grass...

Framed everything up with 6x6's and backfilled everything until level...

I had a conduit for an outlet buried when I did the block work so I tied that in and now have an outlet to cover that area...

Installed all the handrails and a stair down towards the back...

IMG_1357.JPG IMG_1359.JPG IMG_1365.JPG IMG_1373.JPG IMG_1375.JPG IMG_1668.JPG

Next it was on to working on the deck where the shed was moved back last year...

I framed all of the structure below and added the decking boards so everything was level with the concrete pad...There is a slight slope to everything for water drainage...

I did put a 30" or so cantilever on the edge of the deck to align with the stairs coming down from the upper landing...

Covered the back and installed a couple of doors for some storage under the back of the shed...

This whole time I was really trying to avoid getting into the next project which was to finish the concrete work to the basement garage door.

IMG_1424.JPG IMG_1428.JPG IMG_1431.JPG IMG_1434.JPG IMG_1665.JPG

I ran some strings and drove a few stakes in the ground only to find out this was going to be way more involved than I wanted...

The slope here is above 30 degrees and just makes everything harder...

I wanted the sidewalks as level as possible but yet still have enough slope to get where I need to be and then figure in enough slope to help with drainage...

I ultimately need to be able to bring a motor down the sidewalk on a dolly for storage in the basement of the garage...

My first problem was I had a tree growing where the back concrete pad would be near the back door.

That got removed and then it was off to building a wood wall for the concrete pad to terminate at.

I also needed to extend out the footer drains and the daylighted drain in the basement slab...

IMG_1418.JPG IMG_1505.JPG IMG_1503.JPG IMG_1507.JPG

I ended up putting a total of (8) 6x6 wood posts in the ground in concrete buried 30" deep...

I tied 4x6's onto those and began framing the new wall...

I laid out for a 10' by 8' concrete slab outside the basement door and then started the slope up to meet the existing concrete sidewalks...

I didn't need a 10' wide sidewalk so I added planters behind the wall and narrowed the sidewalk up to about 6' wide...

A total of 5 truckloads of 57's were used to fill everything up to a subgrade level prior to concrete...

IMG_1504.JPG IMG_1505.JPG IMG_1522.JPG IMG_1523.JPG IMG_1526.JPG

I framed a corner and tied everything in for the rebar and the wire mesh inside the concrete slab...

Did I mention there was a lot of gravel...

Expansion joints were added at the perimeter to layout the elevations for the concrete pours...

IMG_1551.JPG IMG_1555.JPG IMG_1568.JPG IMG_1569.JPG IMG_1572.JPG

All of that in preparation for concrete...

No issues during the concrete pour...Kept it wet for a couple days afterwards...

Topped off the flower beds with top soil and mulch...I'll plant then next spring...

Added some mulch around under the trees...

Tied in a short section of wood wall from the deck to the raised beds and called it good...

IMG_1604.JPG IMG_1607.JPG IMG_1609.JPG IMG_1614.JPG IMG_1670.JPG IMG_1667.JPG

Nice work, that's quite the nice setup you've got going on!

I will have some more framing of handrails and stuff to do to the deck next year and there will be a lot that needs stained...

I'm going to be changing the stain color on all of the areas where you walk to a lighter color...

The overhead view of what's near finished is a lot better than it was a couple years ago...

Last pic is for reference...

IMG_1468.JPG IMG_1470.JPG IMG_1469.JPG IMG_1616.JPG IMG_1661.JPG IMG_0601.JPG

I also finished the install all of the kitchen countertops...

Only the backsplash is left to be completed...

Tried to take good care of the front lawn and all of this years plantings...

IMG_1733.JPG IMG_1734.JPG IMG_1749.JPG IMG_1367.JPG IMG_1442.JPG IMG_1592.JPG IMG_1691.JPG

I have framed some bulkheads in the garage for the lighting around the perimeter..

I am using an LED light fixture that resembles a recessed ceiling can fixture...

Installed some recessed blocking for the cabinets in the working bay...

I have also purchased the 2x4 light fixtures for the sloped portion of the garage ceilings...

I think these will be bright enough for a shop...

I am currently working on framing the wall between both sides of the garage with the recessed storage integrated into the wall framing...

IMG_1671.JPG IMG_1681.JPG IMG_1682.JPG IMG_1683.JPG

I'm exhausted looking at all that great work. If your not busy stop by I...................:rolleyes:

And, don't ever forget and backup the trailer too far!!

Auto Transport Service
Back