• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New guy from overseas

64polara500

Local time
12:27 AM
Reaction score
Hi there.

Name is Ralph, 35, living in the Netherlands.
Reading & looking on this forum for some time now, just signed up. Great forum!

Want to learn & know al lot about Mopars, specialy B-bodies, with the '64 Polara as all time favourite. Been reading some USA-subscriptions about mopar-muscle, great readingfood!

Don't own one yet, guess it's a matter of time before I see what I like.
For now: just keep on reading & learning.....

Thanx & greetings

Great to have you on board Ralph. You're off to a good start of owning one. Sucking up as much info as you can now will really pay off when you do eventually get your mopar.

Thanks for the comment on the photos, I know the 64 is my favorite car. It is great at car shows when every body had the road runners and chargers and mine is the only car there like it. it shur draws a big crowd. good luck on finding one. let me know how that goes over there.

Thanx everyone for the welcome.

Thanks for the comment on the photos, I know the 64 is my favorite car. It is great at car shows when every body had the road runners and chargers and mine is the only car there like it. it shur draws a big crowd. good luck on finding one. let me know how that goes over there.

I could imagine the crowds.
Seems an underrated car, or am I mistaken?

Overhere you do not see these Polara's at all, at least I haven't seen one yet.
Looks like I have to get one from overhere, I'm not yet all filled in about how to buy one, how to (let someone) check for good/bad cars or how about shipping costs etc.
Some say: take the plane, have a holiday, buy a car and ship it.:yes:
I have to look into that, have no clue so far.

We'll see. No hurries here.

They are all over the internet, just GOOGLE, most are running around $20 to $30.000. always look for rust underneath around especially around the front frame areas and floor pans. remember this car is 46 years old. also always look for cars out of California or Southwest area, no salt. Anything in north east is going to be eat up with salt and rust.
I found this one in South Carolina but he got it out of California with original black 1963 tags still on it.
They look best in Red or Black but the 40th Anniversary Gold is great also. That was my first car with a 318 and an automatic in floor.

GOOD LUCK in your search

They are all over the internet, just GOOGLE, most are running around $20 to $30.000. always look for rust underneath around especially around the front frame areas and floor pans. remember this car is 46 years old. also always look for cars out of California or Southwest area, no salt. Anything in north east is going to be eat up with salt and rust.
I found this one in South Carolina but he got it out of California with original black 1963 tags still on it.
They look best in Red or Black but the 40th Anniversary Gold is great also. That was my first car with a 318 and an automatic in floor.

GOOD LUCK in your search

Thanks for the advice, I wanted to post this sort of questions, but the answers allready come to me out of nothing:app:
Specially the California/Southwest I'll remember.

The prices you say, are what I can see on the internet indeed, for a good/perfect car.
Don't want a project.
What about car-dealership or "special muscle-car-sellers", f.i. best of show Mentor?? They sell a great looking red one!

What does "original black plates" mean? I see it in different adverts....

Thanks again!

Black plates are just the vehicle license plates that came with cars back in the 60' in Cailf.

You will pay a lot more at a Muscle Car dealer, to many hands touching the vehicle sales.

Look for a private seller, price will be lower.

also look out for auto push button shifter vs auto floor shifter and 4 speed standard transmission in the floor shifter.

You should be able to stay between $10.000. and $25.000. for a good car. I got mine from a private seller for $12.750. I have put about $1000. in it since I had it. It needs a new paint job, this one is about 10 years old. but a paint job will run you between $1200 and $8000 depending on what you find once you start sanding it down.

Black plates are just the vehicle license plates that came with cars back in the 60' in Cailf.

You will pay a lot more at a Muscle Car dealer, to many hands touching the vehicle sales.

Look for a private seller, price will be lower.

also look out for auto push button shifter vs auto floor shifter and 4 speed standard transmission in the floor shifter.

You should be able to stay between $10.000. and $25.000. for a good car. I got mine from a private seller for $12.750. I have put about $1000. in it since I had it. It needs a new paint job, this one is about 10 years old. but a paint job will run you between $1200 and $8000 depending on what you find once you start sanding it down.

Thanks David!

So....a 4 speed on the floor or the pushbutton.
What engine is a must have for minimum power? 383 and up? I've drivin a 383 once in a charger.....very, very nice. Never driven a 440 or up.....how's that like in a polara?
Paintjob is no problem I guess, have done that before.
See a lot of polara owners that have upgraded their cars, I like them as standard as possible. Only the bigger back tyres I like very much.

I'm looking on "carsonline" mopars 60-69, see a few there I like.

Is this model polara a car that's known for possible frauds? I mean, the more popular muscle cars from 68-71 can cost a few bucks, and I hear and see some fraud-cars once or twice, bad engines, all plasterd up (how do you say it...rust covered with plaster??). ....How's that with these polara's?
Seems to me most of the polara owners I see in ads are true enthousiasts, the kind of guys who won't sell there car to just anyone....

Thanks again.

PS: hard to believe you've got your car for such $$$....amazing car, have seen less cars for twice the $$$!

Last edited:
Any engine is (possibly) "enough", but like they say...."There's no KILL like OVERKILL"

Check the for sale section here. You might find something you like

I prefer 4 on the floor but the auto in floor is great also. I do not like the push buttons on the dash.

Most come with 318s but you may find a few with 383s which is great. Don’t thing you will see any with 440s you will see a few with 426 max wedge. The 426 HEMIs will always run you an extra $10.000.

Rust is your biggest enemy, the only way to be sure is to put them on a rack and get under them. Don’t think you will have much trouble with rust as long as they stayed out west.

I’d stay away from anything on a 45 year old car that is from north east.

They make a took you can use to check to see if any bondo is under paint and or paint thickness.

"carsonline" is a great place to start, I found mine on EBay.

Titles are a whole other ball game. Easy to buy a stolen car. There are a lot of titles that are fraudulent that even the state DMVs don’t catch they are so good.

Best to have someone in law enforcement check the VIN to be sure. Even then that is no guarantee if it is a clone, VIN has been switched.

Good luck, as always let the buyer beware.

Auto Transport Service
Back