• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New guy here

Toms71Charger

Local time
7:58 AM
Reaction score
I just inherited a 71 318 base Charger with 64K original miles that had been sitting for at least 10 years. Other than a small spot on the drivers fender that was repaired (poorly) it’s basically rust free with an old Maaco/Earl Sheib type paint job.
Idles smooth as glass but isn’t roadworthy yet. Needs carb rebuild,gas tank,tune up,brakes, etc. Pretty much everything you’d expect from sitting.

I have a street/strip mid 10 second 68 GTO that’s not practical to drive a lot so my plan is to keep the Charger as stock as possible and just have a nice mild cruiser. Maybe wheels and a dual exhaust but that’s about it.

Sweet! Welcome from Washington state. Being new here I guess you missed the memo: pics required!

Welcome to FBBO

Hi Tom!! Congrats on acquiring your Charger and . . .

Welcome (3)f.jpg

Welcome from the central coast of Cal. Have fun with your project. Since you have a Goat, do you know what else MOPAR stands for?

IMG_3549.jpeg

Welcome to the site but man, that teen will respond to minor mods and will surprise you. May as well have a 'good' running driver instead of a mundane one :)

I just inherited a 71 318 base Charger with 64K original miles that had been sitting for at least 10 years. Other than a small spot on the drivers fender that was repaired (poorly) it’s basically rust free with an old Maaco/Earl Sheib type paint job.
Idles smooth as glass but isn’t roadworthy yet. Needs carb rebuild,gas tank,tune up,brakes, etc. Pretty much everything you’d expect from sitting.

I have a street/strip mid 10 second 68 GTO that’s not practical to drive a lot so my plan is to keep the Charger as stock as possible and just have a nice mild cruiser. Maybe wheels and a dual exhaust but that’s about it.
Welcome! Sounds like a nice project. I've been trying to save myself lots of headache and just run all through the brakes and fuel system right away vs trying to chip away at it slowly. I bought an ultrasonic cleaner years ago and it's really helped with carb rebuilds.

Welcome from Alabama, glad you're saving another Mopar.

Don't be too surprised when you get it running driving properly it should pull a high 10 as well.

:lol:

Thanks for all the welcomes. I don’t have a lot of time to work on it and it’s not at my house yet so I’m dragging tools & parts back a forth but it’s close to being ready for the drive.
Drained the tank and added fresh gas and it’s coming out clean so far. May not have to replace it. Replaced a blown exhaust manifold gasket that sounded like a valve tick. Set the swell/timing, going to need cap/rotor/wires/plugs. Cleaned out the carb but it needs a accel pump/kit.

Fires right up and idles smooth and so quiet I can’t tell it’s running from inside the car. Drove it up and down the street a few times in a heavy downpour and it did ok but stumbles because of the carb. Heater & defrost still work but blew acorns all over the floor. Shoes are good but drums need turned and brakes bled.

There is very little light in the garage it’s in so the pics aren’t great. It’s like working in a cave. Hope to get it home shortly.

IMG_2274.jpeg

IMG_2273.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back