• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Hyd. lifters manufacturer?

rumblefish360

Local time
3:46 AM
Reaction score
A buddy of mine is complaining his lifters are loud on a new 383 build. A basic stock rebuild with a Hyd. Comp Cam set up. He told me that there was some on line chatter about Comp's change in its surplier of lifters. So my questions are;

Who makes Comp's Hyd. Lifters?
Who makes good Hyd. lifters?

i think the folks who took over the johnson tooling are making the tappets. call comp cams and ask, hopefully you won't get one of their jive-*** kids to answer. all aggressive hydraulic cams make some tappet noise.

No aggressive XE grind. IIRC, it is the XE252 in a stock refurbished engine. Even using the OE slugs. I do not remember the actual ratio.
Everything stock except the RPM intake, 625 Edelbrock carb and the mufflers on a true dual exhaust. Stock 727 and 2.76 (IIRC) cogs on 26 inch tires. MSD-5 triggering the OE distributor.

This is probably a 300-325-ish HP engine.

compared to a stock 256, 268, or magnum cam even the xe252 is still aggressive. the issue is the closing ramps. the stock stuff has a long closing ramp to reduce noise. to my knowledge comp cams doesn't grind a true asymmetrical lobe. if the noise is a clatter it's probably the lobe ramp. ticking and clacking is usually a tappet.

LOL @ aggressive ramp. Trust me, it is not! Do not beileve the hype on Comp's word about taking advantage of the .904 lifter size. More aggressive than stock I'm sure.

LOL @ aggressive ramp. Trust me, it is not! Do not beileve the hype on Comp's word about taking advantage of the .904 lifter size. More aggressive than stock I'm sure.
have you ever measured the ramps on a stock cam vs something like a comp xe?

I just changed out my solid rollers to comps 8921-16 hydraulic rollers, have only heard them with open exhaust but when leaning in and trying to hear the difference there was definitely a big noise change did not hear any clatter like on the solids. One thing they say about hydraulics is if you have the lash wrong or too loose it will make noise as the lifter hits the ramp instead of riding it. just saying may be worth a re check before dropping a bunch of coin.

Me personally I am not a big fan of any of Comps offerings for MOPARs. I use only Hughes Cams and there Johnson manufactured lifters or a Rhodes lifter. Remember that most of Comps offerings now were originally milled and designed off of a Chevy ground Cam before they began to specifically offer a MOPAR specific grind. Every where I read on engine builds, guys use Comp, Comp, Comp. I know it's my take only but I have had nothing but success with Hughes Cams, their MOPAR specific grinds, and their R&D for MOPAR. And one last thing here. If you are using the old style ductile iron MOPAR rockers, on a lot of Comp cams grinds, they will cause chatter to occur a lot. I good roller rocker at a 1.5 ration will smooth and quiet things out too. Just a thought...cr8crshr/Tuck

I can see that, had I known more about Hughes I probably would have bought theirs. also money and budget are a factor I went into my build with a certain dollar amount in mind knowing the learning curve would cost me as well factor that in and lessoned learned it will be the hughes brand next time for example. Sometimes you have to go with your gut and wallet then pay for it later we all do it some like me more than others but hey lessons learned.

Pointed at no one in particular: I understand having a brand preference for engine parts and that's fine. In the end, an engine is an air pump. Nothing more, nothing less. It doesn't know if it's a Chevrolet, Ford, Mopar , Honda, Kia, etc., etc. If you are building a motor and know exactly what you want from a camshaft, any manufacturer will build you one to suit if it's not in their catalog. I see a lot of mixing cams from one manufacturer, lifters from another, springs/retainers/locks from still another. Then toss in another manufacturer for the pushrods and another for the rocker arms. Is it any wonder that occasionally there is a failure of a part and a reluctance of a manufacturer to claim responsibility? When I was a sponsored racer Isky and Crane both required that I use their complete cam and kit as an assembly. If something went awry, they wanted to make sure it was their problem. What I'm getting at is that camshafts are the heart of a motor, which is an air pump. They tell it when and how much air to breathe in and expel out. The cam is not brand specific, that is, GM, Ford, Mopar, etc. Certainly a particular grind may work better for you with your car and other components, but whether it is made by Hughs, Comp, Isky, Lunati, Crane, Howard, etc. is just a personal preference, that's all.

I don't think there are too many lifter manufacturers in the US but plenty in China.

Comp is not on the Johnson lifter distributor list but that may not mean anything.
http://www.johnsonlifters.com/Distributors.aspx

I called Paul direct at 1-800-441-1400 #609 from Topline Johnson Hylift Lifters to get mine. The cool part I went to the Los Angeles distributor after I payed with my CC with Paul. No taxes when I picked them up.

Auto Transport Service
Back