• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Intake for 273 - Looking for Confirmation

1966Belvert

Local time
9:51 AM
Reaction score
Hello all! I'm looking to change out the stock manifold and carb on the 273 in my 66 Belvedere II. I'm being paranoid, but I'm looking for confirmation in my choice of intake manifold. In my searches on this site, I've seen recommendations for the Edelbrock Performer 318/360. These recommendations say it will fit the 273, but the Edelbrock website doesn't even list 273 as an option for engine size. Are any of you running this intake on your 273? Thanks!

It will work. They sure do have a lot of stuff to plug for a early application. Is your 273 original to the car? Just checking because the 64 and 65 intakes are different as far as the bolt size and angle. Too bad you can't find an old LD4B. Those are made for the 66 and later 273/318's and will work with factory air conditioning.

It will work. They sure do have a lot of stuff to plug for a early application. Is your 273 original to the car? Just checking because the 64 and 65 intakes are different as far as the bolt size and angle. Too bad you can't find an old LD4B. Those are made for the 66 and later 273/318's and will work with factory air conditioning.
Thanks for the confirmation! Yes, it's the original engine. I did search for the LD4B and for a stock manifold off a 273 Commando, but they are extremely hard to find.

They sure do have a lot of stuff to plug for a early application.
Agreed.But it is a small port manifold for stock 273/318's.
Here is my 68 273 with a Edelbrock Performer.
IMG_2602.jpg

Hello all! I'm looking to change out the stock manifold and carb on the 273 in my 66 Belvedere II. I'm being paranoid, but I'm looking for confirmation in my choice of intake manifold. In my searches on this site, I've seen recommendations for the Edelbrock Performer 318/360. These recommendations say it will fit the 273, but the Edelbrock website doesn't even list 273 as an option for engine size. Are any of you running this intake on your 273? Thanks!
I just sent the seller a pm to see if it is still available. https://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/threads/edelbrock-ld4b-intake.498742/

I use to have a 1967 Belvedere II with a LA 318 with a 2bbl Stromberg WWC3 carb. I used a 273 Barracuda Formula S single plane 4 bbl manifold and a Carter 3854S carb from the Formula S engine, along with the Formula S cam, springs, lifters, rocker arms and push rods and a re-curved Prestolite dual point distributor from the Formula S. The car had a TF 727A, 3.55 rear gears. EXCELLENT PERFORMANCE..... Several years later, i substituted the carb from a 1968 340 auto trans engine, Carter AVS series, modified the 273 4bbl single plane intake manifold by removing the center divider between the carb bores, yielding an open plenum, i re-drilled the AVS carb mounting flange to accept the 273 manifold stud spacing. I used the AVS choke and origion throttle linkage. The result was additional top end performance slightly better MPG. I used the unsilenced 340 air filter assemnly to fit the AVS carb. ABSOLUTELY no regrets other than I wish I still had the car.....surprised many Camero's and Mustang's during a few red light contests......
BOB RENTON

I can't remember when it changed on the 273's but early ones had a different bolt pattern for the intake to the head. Keep that in mind. Try to go with the ones listed for 318 only if possible. 360's had bigger intake ports and you may get vacuum leaks if its wrong.

IMG_2802.jpg
The brass plugs are what Toolman mike was talking about. This a 70 318 and I won't be using a heater. + the Edelbrock 2176 is non EGR but does have other water ports for emission applications.I blocked those too.

I can't remember when it changed on the 273's but early ones had a different bolt pattern for the intake to the head. Keep that in mind. Try to go with the ones listed for 318 only if possible. 360's had bigger intake ports and you may get vacuum leaks if its wrong.
64 and 65 had the odd bolt angle and smaller bolts. Of those 2 years only 65 had a 4 barrel available. 66 intakes were like all other LA intakes up to the Magnums when they changed again.

View attachment 1173292 The brass plugs are what Toolman mike was talking about. This a 70 318 and I won't be using a heater. + the Edelbrock 2176 is non EGR but does have other water ports for emission applications.I blocked those too.
Yes, the intakes work but there's a lot of holes to plug.

The only differences between the '65 Formula S 4bbl manifold and the later year ('67) manifold is slight difference in the ANGLE of the mounting bolt holes. The difference can be quickly adjusted by grinding (elongating) the angle slightly, with a Dremel tool and burr grinder. The manifold face angle match the head's port angle. The ports of the manifold match the LA318 head ports. Use new side steel shim gaskets coated with Permatex Hi-tack and the sponge type end gaskets with Permatex black RTV, especially at the block to manifold interface. Torque the manifold to the head starting with the x-over passage, alternating side to side back to front in two stages, first at half torque value finishing at FSM published value. Adjust valve lash at Formula S numbers. Recurve dual point distributor to be all in at 2400 RPM with 12°-15° innitial. I used Champion N-11Y plugs @ 0.035". (Or the NGK equal if this is your preference). The fuel line from the Carter 3854S carb will work. This is what I did.
BOB RENTON

I use to have a 1967 Belvedere II with a LA 318 with a 2bbl Stromberg WWC3 carb. I used a 273 Barracuda Formula S single plane 4 bbl manifold and a Carter 3854S carb from the Formula S engine, along with the Formula S cam, springs, lifters, rocker arms and push rods and a re-curved Prestolite dual point distributor from the Formula S. The car had a TF 727A, 3.55 rear gears. EXCELLENT PERFORMANCE..... Several years later, i substituted the carb from a 1968 340 auto trans engine, Carter AVS series, modified the 273 4bbl single plane intake manifold by removing the center divider between the carb bores, yielding an open plenum, i re-drilled the AVS carb mounting flange to accept the 273 manifold stud spacing. I used the AVS choke and origion throttle linkage. The result was additional top end performance slightly better MPG. I used the unsilenced 340 air filter assemnly to fit the AVS carb. ABSOLUTELY no regrets other than I wish I still had the car.....surprised many Camero's and Mustang's during a few red light contests......
BOB RENTON
Interesting Bob. Removing the plenum dividers made a difference. Good to know. I have a aluminum 273-4 barrel manifold that was a prototype. It's a interesting piece.

prototype.jpg prototype2.jpg

Interesting Bob. Removing the plenum dividers made a difference. Good to know. I have a aluminum 273-4 barrel manifold that was a prototype. It's a interesting piece.

View attachment 1173326 View attachment 1173327

WOW.....VERY INTERESTING PIECE....it looks as if you or a previous owner milled (?) the carb mounting flange flat or reduced the height slightly (Dychem Blue visable). When I removed the individual throttle bores of yhe cast iron manifold to accomodate the Carter AVS carb resulted in an open plenum. Your pix of the aluminum manifold looks basically the same, save for the individual throttle bores. When I removed the individual throttle bores was to accomodate the carb. An open plenum manifold usually results in better top end performance due to a more uniform mixture distribution via even mixture velocity, even though cylinders 5 & 7 almost share a common runner length. The old Edelbrock Torker II manifold looks to have been copied of your example....the only real difference is the port areas of the Edelbrock design were slightly different and had small dams in the port runners to insure relatively equal mixture velocity characteristics. I believe the only reason Chrysler used a single plane design was for a lower coverall height to accomodate a lower hood line of the Formula S car......just a supposition..... BTW, want to sell the manifold?.... it looks as if the manifold will only accomodate an AFB carb not a AVS, due to mounting differences.....
BOB RENTON

WOW.....VERY INTERESTING PIECE....it looks as if you or a previous owner milled (?) the carb mounting flange flat or reduced the height slightly (Dychem Blue visable). When I removed the individual throttle bores of yhe cast iron manifold to accomodate the Carter AVS carb resulted in an open plenum. Your pix of the aluminum manifold looks basically the same, save for the individual throttle bores. When I removed the individual throttle bores was to accomodate the carb. An open plenum manifold usually results in better top end performance due to a more uniform mixture distribution via even mixture velocity, even though cylinders 5 & 7 almost share a common runner length. The old Edelbrock Torker II manifold looks to have been copied of your example....the only real difference is the port areas of the Edelbrock design were slightly different and had small dams in the port runners to insure relatively equal mixture velocity characteristics. I believe the only reason Chrysler used a single plane design was for a lower coverall height to accomodate a lower hood line of the Formula S car......just a supposition..... BTW, want to sell the manifold?.... it looks as if the manifold will only accommodate an AFB carb not a AVS, due to mounting differences.....
BOB RENTON
Yes, a interesting piece. Sorry, I'm not interested in selling it at this time.

Looking
Looking for a stock intake? This one just came up on FABO
https://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/threads/1966-273-4bbl-intake.501198/

Auto Transport Service
Back