• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New member with old steering?

1966er

Local time
12:25 PM
Reaction score
I've searched on here and cannot come up with anything.

Is there a thread that shows what is needed to convert from manual steering to power in a 66 Coronet w/small block/auto?

What year pwr boxes fit & does the column have to be changed?

I have an old Hollander interchange book and it says there are many steering gear boxes that will work on your car from 1965 up even a bunch of late model Mopar stuff fits by changing the pitman arm and or the fittings or both. You will also need the hoses, the pump, all the brackets and pulleys and the proper belt, and all the bolts to put it together with.

I don't know of any reason to change column. If you collect the proper parts it will all just bolt together in a short period of time.

My book does contain part numbers, but the list is so extensive it would take me days to type all that stuff with my one finger typing skills method. So it would most probably be easier for you to locate a donor and ask if it will fit. i do have most of those parts (probably all but the hoses of that vintage will surely need replaced). Hope this helps you out.

I'm not sure SPECIFICALLY to 1966, but I just did this conversion on my 70. Gear box, pump, belt and hoses bought at AutoZone, the pump brackets from Bouchillon & can't remember where I got the steering coupler rebuild. The only "unexpected" thing for a 1970 is that power steering column center (main) shafts are shorter than manual steering ones. The easiest way is to swap the whole column, but I swapped just the center shaft and it wasn't that tough. I suggest you research the manual vs. power steering column just to make sure and then bolt it together....not too difficult.

The location of the steering coupler will be different between the manual and power boxes so a column change is required. Or more specifically, the steering shaft. The Chrysler P/S boxes are the same for many years but the later boxes like 68 and newer have a larger fluid return hose fitting (5/8" vs. 3/8").

I'm asking this as I have possible trade in the works for a 66 Coronet without PS and was just wondering how much of a pane to change and the availability of the column and parts need for the change out. I'm reading on here that a lot of people are changing to manual. If this deal goes through, maybe I can horse trade a system for the manual.

First, I have to get the car!!

And now that I have the car & after driving this without ps, I reallllly want to do this change.

Greetings 1996er;
Check the website of Steer & Gear in Ohio. They have all the necessary pieces including a steering column extension (their item #2000) that enables you to use your current manual steering column. Give them a call--they're very helpful.
Good luck;
Bob

Anyone???

Exactly what information are you seeking? Once you collect the necessary parts it will purely be a bolt together ordeal. Not very hard or time consuming and in my opinion well worth the effort.

I guess what I am looking for is what year part ranges will fit my swap. Also, is there a thread that shows this change?

Exactly what information are you seeking? Once you collect the necessary parts it will purely be a bolt together ordeal. Not very hard or time consuming and in my opinion well worth the effort.

Auto Transport Service
Back