• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Shop Building Started

I looked into getting a shop built. I and my uncles would pour the concrete and I’d build the shop after delivery. That was doable……until the county got involved. All money for the permits were…..$35k! Commiefornia isn’t friendly to people who want a shop.
Wow!!!! That's a bunch of b.s.
We are just outside city limits and the permit is $109 plus inspection fee.

If ya think that’s bad, my uncle wanted to gut his 100 year old house and do a total makeover. The county wanted $80k for all permits, a soil inspection, rebuild his road that goes over a creek with a bridge and wanted a foundation poured under the house for earthquake compliance. He told them to pound sand. Once again, a county in this State has its hand out.

When you gonna move and get away from impossible rules? The only problem I had here was with their electrical wants, on my 6000 sq ft building. They wanted exit lighted signs at both doors, which got disconnected right after final inspection. Reason being as 4 flood lights came on the instant you turned the lights out. My electrician said that's how the city wanted them wired. He told me to just go along with them and get the inspection and he would take care of it.

Took the house off the market due to no buyers caused by higher interest rates.

they're just getting started
Ugh.. I'm afraid you're right.

I started my garage here in western PA earlier this year.. I don't recall the exact cost, but a few hundred dollars and had evrything I needed permit wise in a couple weeks. The local inspector drops in from time to time but my general contractor has a pretty good relationship with him.

Last edited:
When you gonna move and get away from impossible rules? The only problem I had here was with their electrical wants, on my 6000 sq ft building. They wanted exit lighted signs at both doors, which got disconnected right after final inspection. Reason being as 4 flood lights came on the instant you turned the lights out. My electrician said that's how the city wanted them wired. He told me to just go along with them and get the inspection and he would take care of it.
You know, at 6000 sqft, you probably need lighted exit signs. Not sure I could find my way out of a 6000 sqft building otherwise.

I looked into getting a shop built. I and my uncles would pour the concrete and I’d build the shop after delivery. That was doable……until the county got involved. All money for the permits were…..$35k! Commiefornia isn’t friendly to people who want a shop.
Jesus... I think my permit was $65.00, only needed setback and final inspections.
It was going to be $135 I think until I pointed out that I was opting out of the permitting process since I have over 4 acres and live in the county. :thumbsup:

Permit has been issued, building is now in fabrication. Should be about 5 weeks.

That was quick. Got the call this morning that they are going to erect the shop on Tuesday.

Wow! 35G for permits? I thought I had it rough here in WI where I had to have three variances to build my 30 X 36 shop. Then argue with the city council to to enable a bathroom and a floor drain. I guess putting up with 6 months of winter and 6 months of poor sledding is worth the effort after all.

Building is going up!
20221115_111519.jpg

We went out to take a look after the crew left for the day. They put in a solid 11 hours. It was dark so no pics but I'll try and get better ones tomorrow when they are done. They said they should be done in about 4 more hours. It looks great. I'm excited. I still need to find an electrician to wire it for me.

Done! I still need the inspector to stop out but it is very nice. Even had it earthquake tested today with a 5.5 :)

10' walls so it is bigger than it appears in the pictures.
20221116_122503.jpg
20221116_122622.jpg
20221116_122622.jpg
20221116_122841.jpg

20221116_123128.jpg

Looks sweet! Good call with the roll up doors. Saves so much overhead space not having the tracks of a standard garage door.

Next step is to wall up the side with the walk in door and add a ceiling so I can have foam insulation sprayed. That creates extra storage space up top, not that I will be looking for room but it is nice to have.

I had 16 tons of 1" crushed gravel delivered today. I'll need a little bit more but it is getting there. I have an electrician coming by next week to give me an estimate.

Starting to fill it up already. Tons of room for what we need. I just ordered lumber to build a partition wall between the cars and office/gym. Screwed in left over 2x6 from the concrete forms as a backer to plywood walls. Also framed up a 10' long workbench in the corner.

I am waiting on an estimate from a local sparky for running a 100a subpanel from our well pump house panel (200a off the service drop) to the shop. From there I will wire the shop. 3 20a circuits for lights/outlets and 2 240v double pole breakers for welder and compressor.

20221211_155428.jpg
20221211_155437.jpg
20221211_155525.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back