• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Stealth Heads or use the 452’s?

What should I do? Buy a set of Stealth Heads or use the 452 heads?

I have a 78’ 440 block, cast crank, stock rods, engine guy says will be approx 9.4:1 with new pistons installed using the 88cc 452 heads. Going in 69’ roadrunner, prly use 78 tranny (someone suggested it might have part throttle kickdown), 3:23 suregrip.

I don’t know what to do. Not a strip car, just interested in a strong cruiser. Like to put some miles on it.

"engine guy says will be approx 9.4:1 with new pistons installed using the 88cc 452 heads"

ANY Engine Guy that can tell you the above..... should also be able to make a cylinder head recommendation based on what you want.

and IMO,
complete WASTE OF TIME and MONEY even considering "rebuilding" 452 Irons Vrs buying STEALTH Heads, very simply because you can NOT rebuild irons(any iron head) properly..... or that even with Porting...... will even come close to the performance potential of the STEALTH's out of the box !
Add in the reduced Fuel/Quench/Detonation and thermal efficiencies of the Aluminum vrs the Irons and this should be a NO-Brainer !

BTW, WHAT Pistons is your engine guy using to achieve the 9.4:1 ?

I agree with ^^^^ I have heavily ported 452s and what should also be added is how time and heat wears on cast iron. After welding my 452s for the 2nd time because I cracked tightening valve covers just a little too tightly? I asked. "What am I doing" And went aluminum. B1/BS. The tight closed chamber uped my compression outside of pump gas range. So changed carb and fuel and never looked back. Plenty of bigger cc heads to make a solid decision on your build. I'm not married to a specific manufacturer. But would choose the head that best fits your build parameters.

Dont expect to run the Stealths out of the box. Last pair I had I cleaned up the bowls, runners and push rod slots. I brought them to the machine shop and they needed an additional $350 into them. Redo the valve job, fix valve heights, replace the seals and locks and a cleanup mill. I wanted them for the"factory look"
IMG_2140.JPG

Dont expect to run the Stealths out of the box. Last pair I had I cleaned up the bowls, runners and push rod slots. I brought them to the machine shop and they needed an additional $350 into them. Redo the valve job, fix valve heights, replace the seals and locks and a cleanup mill. I wanted them for the"factory look"
View attachment 763468
For what he wants, 452's....

I agree. As usual, everyone runs to the high performance aspect of it all and rings out the words, “Just Incase he wants to upgrade later.”
“The benefits of aluminum heads or yada yada yada yada yada!” As if he needs them on a low compression cruiser.

LMAO!

I went with aluminum heads so my engine is more pump gas friendly. Everything else is a bonous

I would check a C Ratio calculator to find out for sure what your final ratio will be. Stock 77 440 pistons down
.140" with 452 heads, and a .020 gasket will get you around 7 to 1. 6 pack pistons, .015 below deck, with Stealth heads, same gasket, will get you around 10 to 1. Choose your head, then target c ratio, then piston and gasket to get there. Also shoot for .035 quench for detonation resistance, improved flame travel, and overall response.

Auto Transport Service
Back