• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New steering box ratio question

44070dart

Local time
8:30 PM
Reaction score
Just installed new front suspension in my '68 Charger and now the steering box needs to be replaced also. I changed over to the quick steering pitman arm and idler arm and now wondering about the new steering box. They say it's 4 turns lock to lock. What I'm wondering with the changes in the suspension quick steer, is this type of box going to cause the car to be too twitchy or is 4 turns normal.

I'm about to order a box from Steer & Gear. I was thinking their stock one was 3 1/2 turns?

Is your car manual or power steering at this time? What ratio box are you looking at?

James From
PST

With the information that you provided you would be at somewhere around a 12:1 or 14:1 steering ratio between the box and the fast ratio pitman and idler arm

Factory power steering boxes of that era all had the same internal ratio. If you replace your factory box with another one, your steering will be the same as it is now.

Auto Transport Service
Back