• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New tank time, couple of questions

powermyster

Local time
11:09 AM
Reaction score
Hi, I’m putting a tank in my Roadrunner. The old tank was from a different car botched and made to fit. No vent lines, though the filler neck grommet was leaking.

Anyway new tank has the 4 vent lines at the rear. My vapour collector is there but the line is cut near the front no vapour canister.

I plan on reconnecting the collector what the best way to vent the collector, remote roll over valve?? Just leave pipe open??

Lock ring that came with tank is useless. Gonna tryvthe other lock ring from Old tank failing that any tips, should I bend tabs (metal seems very thin).

Also, I need a filler neck grommet and hit a snag most places don’t ship to Ireland. Couple that do want a fortune to ship one. Any recommendations for international shippers or is the part used on any other models?

4D325FFD-8F7D-4E29-972F-AAF8EDA0FD64.jpeg AA7E4F4A-E482-45B3-B8E7-68226D0C63A9.jpeg 993F4171-79AE-466B-BC1E-6E754AE51FB2.jpeg

Most definitely reuse the original lock ring as the lock rings furnished with all of the current tanks is not thick enough. I assume that the original tank did not have any issues around the sending unit, so I would not attempt to bend the tabs any. They should have been a new seal with the tank as well.
I know that we ship to the UK and Europe on a regular basis. Not aware of any issues going to Ireland, I would have to check as we typically ship the fuel filler neck grommets inside a padded envelope via USPS with no issues other than the cost.

Here is what it should looks like on my 73
IMAG1693.jpg

And if you need reference to the pickup location, here is that view
20170825_103602.jpeg

If you had a different tank make sure you have the ground strap that goes from the pickup to the hard line on the body, you can see it her across the top of the rubber hose.

IMAG1695.jpg

IMAG1691.jpg

Here are the j bolts and tank straps if you need reference for these.

Cheers, the underside of that is making me feel reall sorry for mine . Could eat your dinner off that. That image above was my collector after a good wire brushing.

The sender on my old tank was on the opposite side hard line was extended with a mix of rubber and hardline sections. There was an earth running up to the body from the sender outlet not to main hardline.

Thanks for the images.

@69bfan do you have a website I can look at

Just had a quick look at the lock rings. The newer type is indeed thinner. And feels loose on the old tank. So I’ll defin use the old ring on the new tank. One thing I noticed is there is no detent on the new old one. Should be ok though. I’ll clean it up and try it later

2E0EF45E-4CC2-4ADA-BCB8-E894D844C44D.jpeg 508903D2-9080-4719-9849-4FA86DA20A72.jpeg

I had same issue with lock ring, mine was thin also, so I used my old one.

is there an optimal position for a fuel filter on these.
Stock location at least for small blocks was below the alternator just coming out of the fuel pump before the riser line up to the carb.

Also, did you install a tank pad with the new tank?

Make sure you put one in, as you don't want the tank vibrating between it and the body as it can wear through and make noise!

Presume it’s just a felt liner is it? I should have some in the shed. It not I’ll look at ordering some

My original one was like a tar paper, some of the new ones are a rubber like material, and that is what I used. You want something that does not hold water, like tar paper or something like that New ones are pretty inexpensive, around 20 bucks.

A little late on this but; get the right tank for your year car. I put a 70 tank in the 69 and had to cap nipples etc. Just get the right one in the first place. Also, don't deal with Mopar Ed in the Central Valley. He jerked me around on the order and had to put the wrong tank in due to time constraints. Not to be confused with Mopar Ed Ten.

Stock location at least for small blocks was below the alternator just coming out of the fuel pump before the riser line up to the carb.

As idrivemopar says, yes, it is where suppose to be. My set up is the same but the ease at getting to it is easier for me. I mounted mine next to the A/C filter drier with a line going to it from the pump, then filter to carb while using the same bolt.

20170804_202030.jpg 20170804_202159.jpg 20170804_202245.jpg

yeap, I used the original lock ring too, but it bent the outer ring welded to the tank where it locks because is also weak or thin like the replacement ring, so I had to tap it gently until barelly feels adjusted

yeap, I used the original lock ring too, but it bent the outer ring welded to the tank where it locks because is also weak or thin like the replacement ring, so I had to tap it gently until barelly feels adjusted
I see, I’ll double check it tonight.

Auto Transport Service
Back