• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newb with engine trouble!

Pull the heads and rebuild them. Once the heads are off, there are many other things that are easily checked.

Well 160-170 sure is promising! Do you know how to adjust valves properly?
Depending on if the engine has adjustable rockers. They were not adjustable from the factory.

When is the last time it ran? Many times I find aircraft engines in the spring that won't pass leak down when cold, right out of storage, due to those valves sitting open all Winter. We then "stake" them.. read smack the bastard with a hammer to unseat and seat to knock the rust off the valve sealing surfaces. Failing that a run and then they all go back to good.

Pull the heads and rebuild them. Once the heads are off, there are many other things that are easily checked.
Yes but the problem should be properly diagnosed before ripping any parts off just yet

When is the last time it ran? Many times I find aircraft engines in the spring that won't pass leak down when cold, right out of storage, due to those valves sitting open all Winter. We then "stake" them.. read smack the bastard with a hammer to unseat and seat to knock the rust off the valve sealing surfaces. Failing that a run and then they all go back to good.
the engine runs good just a little funny sounding at idle and old timer said he can hear that the valves need adjusting….he also told me the truck has aluminum rockers

Yes but the problem should be properly diagnosed before ripping any parts off just yet
I agree, but those compression readings have valve train issues written all over them, or possibly a timing chain issue. The engine could need a total rebuild, but I don't see finding out without taking something apart to look. Start with the valve covers and go from there.

Hmm.. that says alot. Yes time to lift her skirt

the engine runs good just a little funny sounding at idle and old timer said he can hear that the valves need adjusting….he also told me the truck has aluminum rockers
Now you have told us a little more. Yes a valve adjustment could be the problem, or even some bent pushrods. Burnt valves? You will be able to tell more when you get the valve covers off. If unsure post pictures.

Missing a pushrod!!!

IMG_4303.jpeg

Welcome to FBBO from NorCal Sierras

this isn't intended as a Q&A tech section,
it's just the welcome wagon forum
not anywhere near as many viewers/members posting here
or exposure either
maybe try posting the questions in the general discussion forum
or another appropriate/relevant forum section

I'd suggest using the search option tab on the top right of every page
subject is probably covered already in most cases
if not then start a new subject thread
or ask in another already-started thread,
many helpful & knowledgeable members here

good luck

Sounds like the old-timer was right about the ticking!!
Just wrong about the aluminum roller rockers.

Auto Transport Service
Back