• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newb with engine trouble!

TruckManiaMike

Local time
3:43 AM
Reaction score
Just bought a truck from my grandfather (1984 D100 swapped with a 1970 charger running gear 440BB). I’ll be on here for assistance in doing the engine work necessary since I want to learn to do this myself!

I have family history in drag racing Mopars my grandfather is Tom Sneden who raced the Bob banning dodge since the 70’s. He’s too old now to help with the build so I’m leaning on you guys!!

I’ll be posting in other areas of this forum regarding my motor issues I’m currently having like cylinder 6 not firing with fuel and spark….please chime in on my help thread!

IMG_4298.jpeg

IMG_4149.jpeg

Welcome to FBBO from Ontario. That is a great looking truck. I remember your grandfather's name from years of racing Mopars back in the day.

Welcome from Prescott, Arizona
I guess first thing you need to do is a compression test. Buy a decent compression gauge and fallow the insulation. That will eliminate engine mechanical problems

Check your plug wires on distributor cap. You may have made a mistake. Also, check your timing as mentioned above compression test two good luck.

Welcome aboard from Ohio. Nice truck.

Welcome, Before running it anymore pull the dipstick and look for metal in the oil.

Yesterday I replaced distributor cap and now have definite spark at cyl 6 via a spark tester at the end of the plug wire. Pulled a compression test and it read 60 psi with all the plugs in. Took the rest of the plugs out and retested and read 30 psi. I was told that the valves need adjusting but would that throw the compression off??

Welcome, glad to have you here ! As a start, Remove ALL the plugs, prop open the choke flap, and take a compression reading on ALL the cylinders. Write down each reading for each cylinder.

Welcome aboard!! Looks like a fun project. Remember your grandpa well . . .

Tom Sneden in the Bob Banning Dodge Challenger, Indianapolis, 1970.jpg

Tom Sneden in the Bob Banning Dodge Challenger, Indianapolis, 1970. 1st full year for Funny Cars in NHRA

Yesterday I replaced distributor cap and now have definite spark at cyl 6 via a spark tester at the end of the plug wire. Pulled a compression test and it read 60 psi with all the plugs in. Took the rest of the plugs out and retested and read 30 psi. I was told that the valves need adjusting but would that throw the compression off??
If the valves are being held slightly open , how could it build pressure?
Short answer to the question; yes.
Welcome, glad to have you here ! As a start, Remove ALL the plugs, prop open the choke flap, and take a compression reading on ALL the cylinders. Write down each reading for each cylinder.
Agreed, and, make sure the throttle is cranked open. And a battery charger on it with a fully charged battery.

okay doing a good compression test on all cylinders once I get home in an hour or so. I am new to working in motors and don’t fully understand how exactly lifters/pushrods/rockers/valves all work precisely. Excited to learn! Once I get compression test I will start a new thread with my results in a more proper forum thread section.

Welcome from Alabama, no need for me to beat a dead horse. You have some great information above.

Auto Transport Service
Back