• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

newbe-chiphlds

took it to a mechanic who has built race motors and he said i should be using oil with high zinc content like royal purple,and at least 10/40 or even 20/50 since i only drive in the summer.appreciate all your help
untitled.png
IF it's a flat tappet type cam, you should not be running synthetic in it to begin with.
Most synthetic oils are made for modern cars that don't have flat tappet cams (it's an emissions thing, for starters).
If you have a conventional cam like these cars came with, the mechanic is absolutely correct - make sure the oil has all the zinc (ZDDP) and phosphorus it should have for flat tappet cams or you'll surely wipe a lobe or two before long.

View attachment 979635
IF it's a flat tappet type cam, you should not be running synthetic in it to begin with.
Most synthetic oils are made for modern cars that don't have flat tappet cams (it's an emissions thing, for starters).
If you have a conventional cam like these cars came with, the mechanic is absolutely correct - make sure the oil has all the zinc (ZDDP) and phosphorus it should have for flat tappet cams or you'll surely wipe a lobe or two before long.

hello , it is a crate 512 stroker motor.not sure of the cam.just looking for the correct oil to use
your help is much appreciated
The cam determines a lot of that answer. I'd strongly suggest you find out if at all possible what cam/lifters type
is in that engine.

Zinc/ZDDP is not going to hurt anything except catalytic converters, it will just provide extra wear protection. When in doubt use a high zinc oil.

hey guys,
newbe here,i have a 67 gtx tribute with a crate 512 stroker, rotisere restored.i have a problem.my oil presure runs at about 50-75 on the highway,but when its hot it idles about5-10.im using 5/30 synthetic.do you think if i went to 10/30 it would help or should i go ahead and change the oil pump. thanks.View attachment 978342
Synthetic oil is really meant for newer engines. Sometimein the 90’s I think the size of passage and tolerances tightened up. Earlier engines need the thicker higher viscosity non-synthetic oil.

Synthetics were invented before the 90's tolerances, and you can get thicker synthetics if you feel it's needed.

But welcome aboard, Kalinks! :welcome:

Welcome aboard from Long Island.
I use dino oil 20/50,my HP level is higher and gets changed every 2k miles or so.

Auto Transport Service
Back