• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newbie Needs Trailer Tie Down Strap help.....

soundhd

Local time
4:20 AM
Reaction score
Buying my first Mopar (70 Roadrunner Convertible)..going to pick it up this weekend, bringing it home on a open car hauler (U-Haul). First time towing a uni-body car (I'm a GM owner.."A" body) so used to towing cars with frames.....anyway need to know the best locations to attach the tie down straps to the body...ect to secure it down and to keep it from "bouncing" around on the trailer.....any help would be appreciated...........

And yes, I am coming over to the "Dark Side" as a couple of my Mopar friends say.........

a newbie in Michigan

just run the straps over the bumper mounts front and back, or the K frame front/bumper mounts back....personally, i always just tied to the suspension(A arms and rear end)...they don't "bounce" as much as you think they will....

X2 I just wrap the rear axle in the rear and the k-frame in the front.

if you dont have tire wrap straps then the k frame and rear diff are the way to go.dont worry about hop,wont cause any problems as long as straps are good and tight.

Make sure that you do not run the straps over the brake lines on the rear axle and then ratchet them down. It will collapse the line or cause a break and leak fluid all over the place. If the car has the tie down attachments on the frame from the original shipping of the vehicle, you can use them as well...Good Luck and take your time....

Beware of sharp edges on the k frame. I did that once and it cut the strap in half. Personally, I go over the axle ( avoid the brakelines like cr8crshr said) and around the lower control arms in the front. Car bounces little.

if you dont have tire wrap straps then the k frame and rear diff are the way to go.dont worry about hop,wont cause any problems as long as straps are good and tight.

After a few miles, stop and make sure everything is still tight. The bouncing could loosen them a little and they may not have been tight enough at the start. How far do you have to trailer it?

if its the same as up here, the "u-haul" will be front tire wraps and cables on the back. i use axel straps that will go under the brake lines on the rear and j-hooks on the front, if not tire wraps. try to stay off the frame because it will bounce. it boils down to how far you are going with it. once mobile, check it a couple of times and then motor on. oh yea, adjust your mirrors so you can't see it, after checking a couple times, and hammer down.:headbang:

WOW....first Mopar is a 70 RR convertable....nice! whered ya find that at?...theyre harder to get than a superbird!

Shag is correct...if using a U-haul trailer, it comes with front tire straps and large hooks for the rear. No need to make this more complicated.

Drive a couple miles, then check everything for security. Drive another 25 - 50 miles and check everything again. After that, you should be good.

Note: A good 'trucker' checks his load each time he stops.

Congratulations...and have a safe trip!

Auto Transport Service
Back