• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I think i know the issue, but looking for help with bog down

How does it work when you put it in gear. You may have to raise the Idel for the auto trans.

How does it work when you put it in gear. You may have to raise the Idel for the auto trans.
Just now it did fine. I didn't get a tach read on it. I thought I had it good yesterday but after I ran down the road it was dying when I put it in gear. That's when I went and grabbed some vacuum line.

Someone will tell us but if I am not wrong you need about 13hundred Rpm for an Automatic transmission. At Idel. Just like with A/C car need a little more Idel RPM.

So here is something else I don't understand. I went inside to charge my phone and type up my update post. It was idling around 1000. I was inside for 30-45 min. I just came back out and fired it up. It's idling at 900 now. I haven't done anything to it. Is that weather affecting it?

I put it in gear with my foot on the break and it was dancing around 650 rpms in drive. It felt low but it was fairly steady. I don't know if I'm just used to this thing idling high, and am gunshy now.

what kind of cam do you have in the engine to where it needs to idle so high?

I was thinking that too.....
Factory spec for '68 383-4bbl auto is 5° btdc @ 650 idle hot.
As far as the cam, I don't know what's in it. I bought this car in March and have not torn it apart.

Yesterday afternoon it was fine at 850-900 but sounded like it was struggling below that.

Right....the factory spec is nothing more than "food for thought" if the motor has been altered in any way, which many have at this point in time.

That Chevy pcv valve may be a problem too. If it's cammed up the carb and ignition will need work. Those smog carbs really need some recalibration even with a stock cam.

Post #24. Erratic idle speed can be caused by sticking weights/springs in the dist.

Will the engine idle smoothly in gear at 650 rpm?
If it does, it has a stock or mild cam in it. This will be the starting point. If you have a vac gauge, measure the idle vacuum.

If it has been sitting for a while with today’s ethanol induced fuel inside I would be looking for a blockage somewhere within the fuel system including the carb.

Post #24. Erratic idle speed can be caused by sticking weights/springs in the dist.

Will the engine idle smoothly in gear at 650 rpm? If it does, it has a stock or mild cam in it. This will be the starting point. If you have a vac gauge, measure the idle vacuum.
It has been fine in gear at 650 for the last few days. I've driven it 3 or 4 times in the last week. No issues.

Port or manifold in idle? In gear?

It has been fine in gear at 650 for the last few days. I've driven it 3 or 4 times in the last week. No issues.
Maybe Geoff_2 nailed it?? Sticky weights on the mechanical advance, and you were running the idle to high, which wasn't really compensating properly. Maybe touch base with Halifaxhops for a redo (or a good used one) now or in the off season and try again??

Carefully check all the vac hoses. They perish over time, cause air leaks, strange behaviour.

Carefully check all the vac hoses. They perish over time, cause air leaks, strange behaviour.
I now think that this was my problem all along. The thing has been running like a top since I replaced the vacuum lines. (This and the care had too much timing in it.)

Auto Transport Service
Back