• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nicks 426 Whats Missing?

I see no fuel filters next to the carbs. Is it true that they were nixed in this location on the 70-71 engines?

Nick apparently has chosen to not locate them there as I and many others have.
He says "one" item is missing. Are two filters one item?
deweys426hemifromthe69chargerrt1861.jpg

This model has the filters.
91749c82bf9b1c3c8d54fe18a129d595.jpg
IMG_0363 (Large).JPG

Last edited:
The filters were a 66 thing. Not sure if those carried into 67 also, but 68-71 didn't have the filters.

Should there be a fuel vapour separator up front after the fuel pump?

It's there. I also looked for the heat shield for the starter and see one. (never seen one before and assume it is correct).

The 1/4" tube that goes from the bottom of the RH exhaust manifold to the air cleaner. Painted orange in this photo...

View attachment 540484

I am going with what RC posted early on. --Nick did -not- address this 1/4" tube --but he did mention the difference with early engines having fuel filters or not.
Maybe no one proposed it?
We will eventually see what Nick tells us is the answer.
Did he start this for fun? Or did he miss something and want us all to share in his missing it?
Either way, I am in with it. I like puzzles.

Last edited:
I am going with what RC posted early on. --Nick did -not- address this 1/4" tube --but he did mention the difference with early engines having fuel filters or not.
Maybe no one proposed it?

Nick specifies 1969 and 1970 and stated he is useing '69 carburetors. (No float bowl vent tubes) Would the orange tube be for those years?

Ok gotta ask how did you notice that .I watched both videos the second one twice and looked for a parts diagram on the engine and still didn't see it ,,

The 1/4" tube that goes from the bottom of the RH exhaust manifold to the air cleaner. Painted orange in this photo...

View attachment 540484

This has me scratching my head. If the painted tube is connected to the air cleaner and the bottom of the exhaust manifold it is then part of the choke heat system. But in order for air to flow through that loop to move hot air -to- the choke, it would have to be a positive flow -from- the air cleaner. ---Also, my original air cleaner base plate (oval air cleaner) has no connection point for a tube like that.
That brings me back to a question I had long ago. How is the hot air from the manifold expected to get to the choke to heat it? Just float up?? It needs to be pushed somehow. (In my case I am using an electric choke so it is moot for me).
Where is a positive air flow connection for the upper end of that tube??

BTW this pic caught my attention from my FSM for 69. It's for anti-icing of the throttle plate of the slant six. The flow direction makes sense. I haven't yet found an illustration/pic of the system in question.

IMG_0398 (Large).JPG

Last edited:
I did find this pic. of both tubes and the sleeve for the tube going to the choke. The tube in question is the one bent with the fitting for the manifold end. The other end goes --where?
MD6669.jpg

Having never examined a hemi up close for a long period of time; I think RC may be right- a tube going to air cleaner to complete choke circuit(?)

Auto Transport Service
Back