• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nicks 426 Whats Missing?

COKETUBE1.jpg

No wonder hemi’s were so expensive, all the extra crap that was added,,, in a good way!

This has me scratching my head. If the painted tube is connected to the air cleaner and the bottom of the exhaust manifold it is then part of the choke heat system. But in order for air to flow through that loop to move hot air -to- the choke, it would have to be a positive flow -from- the air cleaner. ---Also, my original air cleaner base plate (oval air cleaner) has no connection point for a tube like that.
That brings me back to a question I had long ago. How is the hot air from the manifold expected to get to the choke to heat it? Just float up?? It needs to be pushed somehow. (In my case I am using an electric choke so it is moot for me).
Where is a positive air flow connection for the upper end of that tube??

BTW this pic caught my attention from my FSM for 69. It's for anti-icing of the throttle plate of the slant six. The flow direction makes sense. I haven't yet found an illustration/pic of the system in question.

View attachment 545518

The choke has a vacuum port which sucks filtered air in from inside the air cleaner via the tubes which go through the manifold, where it is then heated, and into the choke housing where it warms the thermostatic spring. If you start a hemi up that has the thermostat, but no choke tubes, you will feel vacuum through the choke tube inlet in the bakelite housing.

The choke has a vacuum port which sucks filtered air in from inside the air cleaner via the tubes which go through the manifold, where it is then heated, and into the choke housing where it warms the thermostatic spring. If you start a hemi up that has the thermostat, but no choke tubes, you will feel vacuum through the choke tube inlet in the bakelite housing.

Thanks RC--That makes sense. I did look for a port or vacuum path in the choke housing on one of my 67 carbs and found none. I guess that is one of the differences between the older carbs. vs the 69-70 carbs.
I am using a pair of clone carbs from Scott @ Harms auto --using electric choke so could not count on my carbs to be a good place to look for the stock vacuum path.
I would still like to see where the tube connects to the air cleaner. As I mentioned my 69 coronet air cleaner has no place for the tube.

There's a port on the rear of the base plate where the rubber hose attaches, as seen in this photo to the right....

Chrome-Dome-Street-426-Hemi-Air-Cleaner-Base.jpg

Was looking through the list of responses and found this. I don't know what a week ago means.:)

IMG_0399 (Large).JPG

I disagree. Only one choke heat tube is on that engine in the video.
Found another pic with both choke heat tubes. View attachment 545538

I see what your talking about. The choke tube to transfer heat to the choke mechanism, the insulated one, is there. That's called a choke tube.
The other tube that RC pointed out isn't on Nick's engine. The one that goes to the air cleaner. My question, what year or years did they use that tube? Nick stated a couple of times that he is going by 1969 to 1970. He also said he is useing 1969 carburetors. He flips back and forth between the two years for the application that he might be using on an E body car.

I see what your talking about. The choke tube to transfer heat to the choke mechanism, the insulated one, is there. That's called a choke tube.
The other tube that RC pointed out isn't on Nick's engine. The one that goes to the air cleaner. My question, what year or years did they use that tube? Nick stated a couple of times that he is going by 1969 to 1970. He also said he is useing 1969 carburetors. He flips back and forth between the two years for the application that he might be using on an E body car.

Looks like from '66 on up. Might be it, if he doesn't come up with an excuse why he's not useing it. Like the different valve cover breather with one nipple instead of multiple. Or the 70 carburator vent tubes he's not useing because he's useing '69 carbs instead without vents. Time will tell.

66-70 Hemis used the "automatic" heated choke. In 71, they went to a manual choke.

Did Nick ever speak up to tell what was missing on his hemi engine?
If so who did he give credit to?

Of course it's missing the muffler bearings silly

Smiley muffler bearings.jpg

I don't have any idea {I'm just not that **** retentive enough to care I guess :poke:}
but he did say
"it was very small & very hard to see"
in his second video

Last edited:
Did Nick ever speak up to tell what was missing on his hemi engine?
If so who did he give credit to?

Towards the end of the first video he said "Ninty day/three months" is when he will give the answer.

musicboohoo.gif

I'm thinking the answer lies at the bottom of Oak Island.
Or is the answer coming from Punxsutawney Phil?
I'm glad there are those that can identify these subtle idiosyncrasies, bravo to youse guys.

We have winners in this thread.

Missing link revealed X 2!

Auto Transport Service
Back