• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nipple Tool!

493 Mike

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:03 PM
Reaction score
Hi fellas,
I made this with a 1/2" bolt and a split pin that fit the notch in the heater nipple. Should work good on a new install but, not having tried yet, I don't know if the split pin will hold up for removal of old nipples. I may have to buy a hardened pin to make it tough enough.
Mike
IMG_2287.JPG

I just use my teeth

Oops, you where talking about something else

The problem that happens over time is that the top where the notches are corrodes, rendering the notches ineffective.

Your tool, although a neat design, will work on a new one, but will it work on one that's been in water for 10 or more years?

The problem that happens over time is that the top where the notches are corrodes, rendering the notches ineffective.

Your tool, although a neat design, will work on a new one, but will it work on one that's been in water for 10 or more years?
When the nipples are junk I use a tapered punch and a pipe wrench to remove them.
Mike

If I'm replacing nipples, I use the new style ones that have a hex built onto the shaft.

My "tool" for the ones that have the notches is a large hinge, with some grinding done so it seats.

Works great. I have another hinge ground to fit the large nip in the front for the bypass hose.

Nice Mike! So much cleaner and easier to use than the spanner for my 4.5" angle grinder. It was the perfect thickness to turn them in, but a bit hard rotating! lol. Pipe wrench to take old ones out...

Thanks for the nipple tool ideas, I will have to try them out on a factory cast iron 340 intake I have on hand. My previous nipple tool (see first foto) was not effective at all.

nipple tool.jpeg DSC07540.JPG DSC07541.JPG

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back