• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

No brake lights one side

Data Plate

Local time
6:57 AM
Reaction score
Having trouble with my left side brake lights working sometimes they do sometimes they don’t directionals work but the left side flasher doesn’t I replaced the flasher relay and the brake light switch seems to be ok I think my old brake light switch has a wire high and one low the new switch has them both low not sure if it matters used a test light and no power is getting to it from the brown wire from the connector by the kick panel where’s the brake lights power source

Your turn signal switch is the culprit. Probably not returning all the way to center when cancelled. Did you by chance repaint your steering column? If so I had the same problem and had to clean the paint out of the turn signal mounting screw hole to allow it to cancel properly. Try wriggling the turn signal lever to center and see if you have brake lights.

I didn’t paint the column I’ll try what you said thanks can’t use the car with no brake light so drives me nuts it’s just the drivers side that’s out

If the left brake lights work with the left signal light on, but doesn't when not signaling, your turn signal switch needs replacing.

If the turn signal works on that side it is in the turn signal switch. Sometimes stepping on the brake with someone watching you can move the turn signal lever and see if the light comes on. It will just confirm the problem is in the switch.

Thank you sixpactogo and panora so much for the halo I had someone watch the lights and moved the signal lever around sometimes the right light only sometimes the left brake light and the both I ordered a new switch any tricks to putting it in

Thank you sixpactogo and panora so much for the halo I had someone watch the lights and moved the signal lever around sometimes the right light only sometimes the left brake light and the both I ordered a new switch any tricks to putting it in
No real big deal. Pull the Wheel. lower dash plate. There will be a tin cover held on by Phillips screws. Cut the wires about 2 inches from the connector. Remove the lever screw, the 3 upper retaining screws. Pull the old one out. Slide the new one in place. Extract and transfer the wires into the old plastic plug. Button it up.

Don’t I have to re pin the new plastic plug? Not sure which wires I need to cut any pictures I could see would like to do it myself

Don’t I have to re pin the new plastic plug? Not sure which wires I need to cut any pictures I could see would like to do it myself
That comment threw me off as well, but I believe he's suggesting you cut the wires to pull out the harness and then put the new one in. Now you have the coloured wires still in the plastic connector to make it easy to swap colour for colour vs making a little drawing or taking a picture.
beerestoration2019 2338.JPG

beerestoration2019 2341.JPG

Maybe just replacing the cancelling cam could be enough instead th full switch

The colors of the aftermarket one doesn’t seem to match the original one black wire has a green stripe on it on the aftermarket one

4B1CCD8A-6CE4-4C87-91A8-E91D79C43200.jpeg C776C422-FDF7-44B2-9C51-D2ED85A74838.jpeg

Aftermarket colors are red white brown gray green black and black with green stripe

Do the old connectors just pull out
With an extraction tool or a small jewelers screwdriver.. you need to slide it in and push the lock tab back.

beerestoration2019 2336.JPG

..as for the aftermarket wire colours, you'll have to compare the OE to the replacement as to where each wire goes in the switch so you know the correct placement in the connector..

I can't say one way or another, why I said to compare OE to replacement and where the wires go in the switch. I've never used a reproduction switch as they're known to cause heartache...

Auto Transport Service
Back