• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

No clutch pedal repaired

During the 15 years I've driven my Pete, I've lost the clutch several times, a product of the multiple clevis pins, ball joints, and other pieces required by the super long linkage in this beast. Believe it or not, the starter will turn over and start the engine in gear, with the rig loaded to 80,000 gross. Shifting without the clutch is the easy part, at least after the first million miles of practice.

thumbnail.jpg

I drove without using a clutch for a month once in my late 20's (had hernia surgery - the old school kind).
It can be done if you're any good with a stick - it's just not preferable, obviously.

had a 1953 mercury v8 with overdrive and drove from denver to ft worth without clutch in 1961. no loops around town . had to go through all towns and stop lights . fun drive for my 1st car

My cousin had a 78 Trans Am with a 400 with a 4 speed.
The shift pattern was kind of angled.
I'm not a real experienced manual driver and I started off in 3rd a couple times with no problem, that engine had some real power.
A really fun car to drive.

I've broken one. Be aware there are different height stands.
Doug

Auto Transport Service
Back