• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

no reverse lights or indacator on dash

davek

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:25 PM
Reaction score
1970 Bee 4 spd they were working and now nothing. were should I check first,could the neutral safety switch crap the bed?

I would check the neutral safety switch first as that is what activates the reverse lights. If that is good, start checking grounds next.
can I check it still on the car a use a ohm meter?

Neutral safety switch on a '70 is on the pedal... has nothing to do with the light. Reverse light switch is on the end of the case, pull the plug off and jumper the connections IN THE SOCKET and see if she lights up with the key ON. If not put a meter on the switch and see if it's toast..
beerestoration2017 338.JPG
beerestoration2017 339.JPG
beerestoration2017 343.JPG

dadsbee you need to make a book with all the photos and knowledge you have. :thumbsup:

Quick check without getting under the car Dave... Disconnect the two wire plug at the firewall bulkhead and jumper the wires there on the bulkhead/wiper motor plug end.. do you get reverse lights again? Heck you don't even need to disconnect it, just take a wire and jam it into each wire spade.
beerestoration2017 1889.JPG

well I jumped the wire and no dice. I know all 3 bulbs are not bad. I used a test light last and no power off of bulkhead. New dash harness so I cant see it being the wires. Any clues? I cant see Reverse having its own fuse in the fuse box.

Did you check the fuses? Thats always the first place to start.

Did you check the fuses? Thats always the first place to start.
No I did not since everything else is working,I will be checking it today.

Now I have to see why its blowing the fuse.

Reverse light fuse is an acc fuse not exclusive to reverse light as far I recall. Check what else is not working along with it.

I believe my reverse harness is bad.

I believe my reverse harness is bad.
I had the same issue not long ago. The fuse was blown so I knew something had to be shorted. Sure enough, the wire harness was melted to the header. Fixed the short, re-routed the wires, and replaced the 20 amp fuse. All is well now.

Auto Transport Service
Back