• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Non A/C Heater Box Squirrel Cage Removal

bassvamp13

Local time
12:46 AM
Reaction score
I was wondering if anybody had any tips on how to remove the squirrel cage from the blower motor? Is heat needed? I Started to disassemble mine since it’s the only thing I can do to my car right now, but can’t get the bugger to budge. I removed the set screw and sprayed it with PB Blaster a few times but it hasn’t seemed to help.

7BA5A00A-39E0-40A3-9B7F-4F5893696BF1.jpeg

Soak that set screw and be patient. Like above, lite taps but don’t mushroom that head or you’ll never get it off

Remove the set screw if its loose, and spay more lube into the hole and let it sit.

FYI don't drop it, they are not reproduced. I had to buy a used replacement.
Is your motor ok? I had partshound.net restore my blower motor, since its dated for my car.

Be patient. I tried bracing under mine and driving the shaft out of the squirrel cage but did do some damage to my motor. I was able to fix it and get it running OK but I was lucky. Maybe some heat on the fan hub but I wouldn’t overdo it.

remove set screw. spray your favorite penetrating lube. grab the end of motor shaft with a good pair of vice grips. holding the vice grips, grab around the outside edge of fan and gently start to try and twist it back and forth and pushing towards the motor. it should start to move and once you get it to spin around freely on shaft, remove vice grips and clean the end of motor shaft with emery paper or small file. once you get all of the rust off and the small marks from vice grips, it should come right off. have done this many times and you won't get any damage from applying too much heat or bending anything from hitting it with a punch and hammer.

I was wondering if anybody had any tips on how to remove the squirrel cage from the blower motor? Is heat needed? I Started to disassemble mine since it’s the only thing I can do to my car right now, but can’t get the bugger to budge. I removed the set screw and sprayed it with PB Blaster a few times but it hasn’t seemed to help.

View attachment 1330014
SOMETIMES.....there is a second retaining screw, at 90° angle to the first screw, which is located on the flat on the shaft.....usually it is hidden by rust or crud......just a thought.......
BOB RENTON

Auto Transport Service
Back