• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NOS 413 Engine

Are the rocker arms adjustable? Have you checked the crank flange? Are the holes in the flange threaded or through bolt? The cast iron TorqueFlite torque converters had studs that slipped through the flange and were held on with nuts. Painted red I am wondering if it might be an engine for an older car even with a '64 casting date. The 361 in my '59 Plymouth was painted red.
The rockers are adjustable. I’ll let you know about the flange. I’ll probably go to the machine shop this week sometime.

There's no need to put in hardened valve seats unless you plan on doing lots of heavy towing. Ive worked on old engines for many years and I've only seen a couple with really bad valve seats. The performance shop I worked at, we never installed seats if the original ones were still good. They don't burn out just cruising around your hotrod.

Last edited:
ANY pre-1970 will require exhaust seats. Ignore those rumors, gossip, and wives tales out there that say that you don't, and treat it as "Myth". I have too many sunken seats on early heads (Mopar, Chevy, and Ford), and can tell you first hand, put the seats in and be done with it. Do it once, and do it right!

Last edited:
Cool post JonPaul64,
I have a 64 D200 truck, that is having a 413 with a 5 speed trans.
Originally had a 426 in I believe but finding one of those is well tough lol...
Great find on the NOS 413, you are in Mopar heaven!:drinks:

ANY pre-1970 will require exhaust seats. Ignore those rumors, gossip, and wives tales out there that say that you don't, and treat it as "Myth". I have too many sunk seats on early heads (Mopar, Chevy, and Ford), and can tell you first hand, put the seats in and be done with it. Do it once, and do it right!
Weird, because I worked at a performance shop and we never did them unless they were already sunk. And they were rarely ever sunk. And if they are it's usually because of a bad valve job where they've been cut too much. I never have installed seats, never had a problem, and never will.

Weird, because I worked at a performance shop and we never did them unless they were already sunk. And they were rarely ever sunk. And if they are it's usually because of a bad valve job where they've been cut too much.
I don't care if you disagree, but it is fact. "Performance" guys go thru heads so often, why would they care if the exhaust seats were hard or not. Head goes bad, just find another head. I have been at this for 27 years, and can tell you, ANY pre-1970 head needs exhaust seats. I also use chrome stem valves too for the unleaded gas. While Mopar heads tend to have more nickel in them, the hardness depth is not consistent. After a few valve jobs, you can be into soft iron, so why take the chance. Most regular folks only want to R&R the heads once, and have the seats put in. Ford and Chevy heads suck and eat a lot of exhaust seats, but Mopar is definitely better. Regular vehicles can do okay, but won't "Never" sink a seat, and higher loads (truck, trailer, towing, etc) do exacerbate the problem. And, just to add, I have seen a lot of Mopar car heads with sunk seats too.

Also, race engines usually use leaded race gas...

Valve seat recession is a strange deal indeed.
Took some 906’s of my mates Challenger and one head was really bad!
Centre exhausts were down about an 1/8...:realcrazy::realcrazy:

I built a real nice 340 for a mate who took it down the track, did about a dozen runs on a hot day.
It had fuelling issues at the topend and a slight misfire.
It destroyed the valve seats and had to have all 8 reseated...

Now we have E10, we are really in da poo...:mob:

ANY pre-1970 will require exhaust seats. Ignore those rumors, gossip, and wives tales out there that say that you don't, and treat it as "Myth". I have too many sunken seats on early heads (Mopar, Chevy, and Ford), and can tell you first hand, put the seats in and be done with it. Do it once, and do it right!
I did have the hardened seats installed. Thanks for the reply

The crank flange is threaded. Looks like 7/16? What does that mean to you maxwedge?
That means it's a late enough engine to use an aluminum torqueflite, instead of the c.i. version.
Threaded crank flange is normal newer stuff. No worries.

Are the rocker arms adjustable? Have you checked the crank flange? Are the holes in the flange threaded or through bolt? The cast iron TorqueFlite torque converters had studs that slipped through the flange and were held on with nuts. Painted red I am wondering if it might be an engine for an older car even with a '64 casting date. The 361 in my '59 Plymouth was painted red.

8EF10D99-0A60-4B46-BA75-4508E7E7926E.jpeg C1728024-A0E0-4342-B3E7-E72EC025A2F5.jpeg 77D1324B-A564-4DDA-A3F8-7EAA0CB13265.jpeg 1332881E-F83C-46E9-8A08-B9D0AFF533B8.jpeg

I plan on bolting to a 1964 push button torque flight. Shouldn’t be a problem seeing I have a 64 block.

The 413 in our 64 New Yorker was red. Do the heads have 4 or 6 valve cover bolts? Cast in rocker pedestals or aluminum bolt on stands?

The 413 in our 64 New Yorker was red. Do the heads have 4 or 6 valve cover bolts? Cast in rocker pedestals or aluminum bolt on stands?
6 bolts on the valve covers. I also had a 64 New Yorker. It was turquoise. Not sure about the rocker pedestals. My 64 New Yorker had non adjustable rockers.

6 bolts on the valve covers. I also had a 64 New Yorker. It was turquoise. Not sure about the rocker pedestals. My 64 New Yorker had non adjustable rockers.
I think somewhere in '63/64 was the changeover. My 62/63 heads have aluminum rocker stands, and four bolt valve covers.

My buddy gave me a set of 516's for my 361 and they were red as well.

IMG_20201213_124256.jpg

That engine looks super! Same as I have, casting, year etc. Very nice and runs great. Still has the lighter pistons too, the 440 went heavier. Power isn’t much short of a 440 anyway. I’d like to see the rockers when you have a photo. Probably same as 300K and MW.

Auto Transport Service
Back