• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Offenhauser vs Weiand vs Edelbrock

No, I don't know when they were introduced, but the were around when I was a kid, so they are "period correct." Maybe not "date correct' to your vehicle, but definitely period correct.
Good eye. the pic is of my current set-up. I haven't done the swap yet. Still gathering parts.

But, like you, I'll be going to the 440 source heads and the original Performer. I'm going to grind off the logos on the intake and paint both the heads and intake engine color.

No, I don't know when they were introduced, but the were around when I was a kid, so they are "period correct." Maybe not "date correct' to your vehicle, but definitely period correct.
I’m not necessarily going date correct, just period correct. I have cal custom valve covers, and a chrome air cleaner.

Right now I’m on the hook with a member that responded to my WTB thread, with a Weiand, I haven’t heard from in a couple days though. I’ll give him some more time before moving on, thanks!

D71B6AFD-A503-4F53-8CA9-2F638DF84F9F.jpeg

I’m not necessarily going date correct, just period correct. I have cal custom valve covers, and a chrome air cleaner.

Right now I’m on the hook with a member that responded to my WTB thread, with a Weiand, I haven’t heard from in a couple days though. I’ll give him some more time before moving on, thanks!

View attachment 1312364
Then you will be fine with Edelbrock's #2191, low-rise which greatly improves torque over a wider rpm range for better throttle response from off-idle through 5500rpm (smaller runners equal more air speed velocity / larger runner equals volume). The Performer intake manifold is ideal, for real world street cars, who live in the low to mid RPM range.

Oh, also, stock is about 4.2" tall. The Performer and the CH4B are the same @ 4.8" height, measured at the tallest point. So, you will gain a bit of height with the swap. The Holley SD (5.25") and the Eddy RPM (5.28") are even taller.

Last edited:
First off, I am by no means an expert...

There are many varying views and opinions. While many recomended the CH4B, others would claim it was nothing more that an aluminum version of a stock 4bbl intake. Others reasoned that the performer must be better than a CH4B because the CH4B is discontinued and old technology.

A few tests in Mopar Muscle came to the conclusion that the CH4B is only a very slight step up from the performer in performance terms. But, remember, most tests are run on a dyno at full throttle. I think the Pics here will show definate differences in all three.

First is a pic of a Stock 67-69 4bbl vs Edelbrock Performer. You can see similar runner sizes between the two (air speed velocity), but the performers seems to have a more flow friendly layout. Also, spread bore acceptable.
StockvsPerformer.jpg

Next up is the stock intake vs a CH4B. The CH4B has what appear to larger runners and sweeping runner design vs the stock piece. Remember, large and long runners equal volume. The CH4B also loses the stock choke mount and EGR mount.
Finally let us look at the Performer vs CH4B. The Performer also will accept at spread bore carb without modification but the CH4B will have to have an adaptor for a square bore, but it does have enough meat to allow it to be "hogged out" to accept a spread bore, if so desired.
CH4BvsPerformer.jpg

I suspect that the only reason that the CH4B was discontinued was for the versatility to use either a square or spread bore carb and retain the divorced choke and EGR. For me, the Performer is more versatile and more accessible. You can buy a brand new Performer.

Last edited:
I don’t care about the EGR crap, and I remove my chokes. But thank you for the information
:thumbsup:

So I’d have to run a spread to square bore adapter on the performer?

First off, I am by no means an expert...

There are many varying views and opinions. While many recomended the CH4B, others would claim it was nothing more that an aluminum version of a stock 4bbl intake. Others reasoned that the performer must be better than a CH4B because the CH4B is discontinued and old technology.

A few tests in Mopar Muscle and came to the conclusion that the CH4B is only a very slight step up from the performer in performance terms. I think the Pics here will show definate differences in all three.

First is a pic of a Stock 67-69 4bbl vs Edelbrock Performer. You can see similar runner sizes between the two, but the performers seems to have a more flow friendly layout.
View attachment 1312472

Next up is the stock intake vs a CH4B. The CH4B has what appear to larger runners and sweeping runner design vs the stock piece. Remember, large and long runners equal volume. The CH4B also loses the stock choke mount and EGR mount.
Finally let us look at the Performer vs CH4B. The Performer also will accept at spreadbore carb without modification but the CH4B will have to have an adaptor for a square bore, but it does have enough meat to allow it to be "hogged out" to accept a spread bore, if so desired.
View attachment 1312473

I don’t care about the EGR crap, and I remove my chokes. But thank you for the information

So I’d have to run a spread to square bore adapter on the performer?
Yes, if you're going to run a square bore carb.

If you have a square bore, the CH4B is the way to go.
If you are going to run a spread bore, the Performer is good to go.
Since you don't want EGR or divorced choke, CH4B is a better choice to me (cleaner look).
You are just splitting hair as far as performance between the two.
The only variable now will be availability and cost.

There is a CH4B on Ebay now for $550. +$42 S&H + tax = $600ish
I paid $200 for my Performer. I'll spend the other $400 somewhere else.

Edelbrock CH4B 2836150 Direct Connection 440 Mopar Intake Restored | eBay

on a mild build 440, just took off my performer and put on ported stock iron intake, works just as good off the line and mid range, plus better in the upper rpms then the performer. on another 440 4-speed a little bigger cam a few years ago i ran a ch4b against a performer you lose a little down low with the ch4b but the ch4b pulls better on mid range and top. also put a street holley street dominator on lost more bottom end and throttle response than the ch4b but after 3500 there must have been 15 hp difference cause you could feel it pulling better.

Yes, if you're going to run a square bore carb.

If you have a square bore, the CH4B is the way to go.
If you are going to run a spread bore, the Performer is good to go.
Since you don't want EGR or divorced choke, CH4B is a better choice to me (cleaner look).
You are just splitting hair as far as performance between the two.
The only variable now will be availability and cost.

There is a CH4B on Ebay now for $550. +$42 S&H + tax = $600ish
I paid $200 for my Performer. I'll spend the other $400 somewhere else.

Edelbrock CH4B 2836150 Direct Connection 440 Mopar Intake Restored | eBay
Thanks, I saw that one. The price of ch4bs is the only thing pushing me away from it. I’m not an expert at all, but the ch4b was created for a loophole in the NHRA stock class, and I believe the performer is just a name change, and a spread bore, because the thermoquad use to be considered a performance carb.

on a mild build 440, just took off my performer and put on ported stock iron intake, works just as good off the line and mid range, plus better in the upper rpms then the performer. on another 440 4-speed a little bigger cam a few years ago i ran a ch4b against a performer you lose a little down low with the ch4b but the ch4b pulls better on mid range and top. also put a street holley street dominator on lost more bottom end and throttle response than the ch4b but after 3500 there must have been 15 hp difference cause you could feel it pulling better.
Thanks. I believe, and I am by no means an expert, but to run a single plane effectively, you have to have the right cam, and headers. Single planes need air. Which is why I’m considering taking the offy off my car, if I can get a screaming deal on a dual plane.

the ported stock iron for my set up is better then the performer and ch4b put together. now if i could take 15 lbs off of it, lol

Well for starters I’ve been told it’s a spread bore by the crusher, and secondly that looks like a spread bore to me. So if you’re not sure, then don’t post stuff

99D5124D-BF5A-44C8-A572-0C6B32A28390.jpeg

you do need one, the ones years ago didn't need one
Okay, okay, I need to specify. You do not NEED an adapter. You can run it the way it is. But, it is more efficient with the spacer. Just be sure the gasket doesn't cover any holes in the bottom of what ever carb you'll be using.

Auto Transport Service
Back