• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Oil leak

DP78

Local time
3:38 AM
Reaction score
Hey guys new to the site and wanted to know what some of your opinions were. I have a small oil leak that tends to only show up after motor has been driven an hour or so. The car is 70 RR with 383 4 speed. Oil comes from passenger side inspection cover and btm sometimes. Had the cover off and see residue on inside of pass bellhousing side, but none on drivers side. Does'nt look like a rear main seal but I am knew to this so any suggestions? Oil level has not dropped on dip stick measurement. Do not know when the motor was last freshened up either. Thanks

No, flywheel and all internals look dry and no oil visable around where the main seals are, just up inside on pass side bell housing like oil is getting thrown up by the flywheel from that side from somewhere?

The oil is alot darker than what is in the motor,I will have to check next time I am home. Sucks car is not where I am right now. Is it a big deal to change that seal or can it be done quick?

It might be running down from the valve cover or oil pressure fittings at the back top of the block. The oil can seep down inside the belhousing and look like a main leak. Check under the exhaust manifold for oil and also at the back of the intake manifold. Good luck.

Auto Transport Service
Back