• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Oil pick up tube installation

I use thread sealant, actually a little bit of Indian head gasket shallic.

I use a light coat of Permatex #2 on the threads. there is a great chance of galling the treads and sucking air if installed dry.

No reason not to use sealant. It lubes the threads and seals. I built many without it. But in todays world with white Teflon paste it's a no brainer. Why take a chance. As stated the stock shielded pickup touches the pan bottom. The aftermarket open style pickup need around 3/8" clearance.
Doug

Why is it important that the pickup shield hits the pan? What are the consequences if it is up an 1/8” off the pan?

Why is it important that the pickup shield hits the pan? What are the consequences if it is up an 1/8” off the pan?
1/8" is not a big deal. You want the pickup low so if the oil sloshes it doesn't suck air. Especially if the pan isn't baffeled.
Doug

NPT threads always need a thread sealant, the threads itself are not sealing.
Can use Loctite thread sealant or something similar.

Auto Transport Service
Back