• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Oil through PCV valve.

combatsp

Local time
12:43 AM
Reaction score
Ok, I have a dumb question. well, there are no dumb questions, only dumb people asking questions so here I go. lol. I accidentally over filled the engine with oil by one quart. Don't ask how. I noticed oil was being forced through the PCV valve. Would this cause a loss of power under acceleration? And should I spay carb cleaner in the carb to make sure no oil is left in there? Don't judge me, I am new at this. lol

It surely could cause a loss of power. Especially if that extra quart is allowing the oil to contact the crankshaft. Talk about some serious resistance.

This may sound dumb also ,but i hope you drained the extra oil.If you have to much oil, it has to go somewhere,so it came out the PCV valve.If it were my car i would leave the carb alone,Make sure the PCV valve is working okay (the Rattle) and start the car and see how it runs.

no need to clean carb,pcv enters intake below the carb.oil that is in the intake will clear up eventually.

Yeah why not just drain a quart out?

X2, just drain it out and run the car. You can clean the PCV with some brake cleaner to speed up its cleaning, but the rest will clean itself out in short order.

i had a similiar problem except my oil level was right but the oil was going through the pcv hose into the carb and i found out my problem was there was no baffles/ cover plates on the inside of the valve covers so with my awesome oil pressure it was spraying straight to the pcv. i put baffles on the valve covers and no more oil in pcv.
not sure if this will help

Auto Transport Service
Back