• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

OK...An Update on My 1966 Satellite Project....

cr8crshr

Local time
11:27 PM
Reaction score
For those that have been following my trials and set backs with this project, here is where I am at...

I just got my new Rocker Arm hold downs, shims and spacers to swap out and see if I can get the Valve Train on my 383 to quiet down. I also have a push rod measure to see if my push rods are correct too. I will be most likely be working on it over the weekend if my Bowels :bootyshake: hold up for me as I have the dreaded re-exam for my Colon. Any way, I will give this a try and if all things work out now then I will get the car to the tranny shop to get that issue looked at. If this fix fails then most likely I will just get a replacement engine block...either a 400 or another 383... and purchase a stroker kit, Swap out parts on the present 383...heads, lifters, cam, pumps, etc. and give a try at something different. This time I won't be farming out the build but instead I will build it myself. That way I know it will be done right and if not then it is on me and not someone else. At least I am attempting to make progress but moving forward is at a snails pace. Hope this will do it and I will keep the updates coming as I know more....cr8crshr/Tuck

good luck Tuck, I am curious how many threads are the rocker adjusters screws sticking out of the rockers, "usually" if more than 3 full threads {too short of push-rods} you will get oil starvation to the push rod cups/adjuster ball tips, or possibly the improper adjuster ball &/or push-rod cup sizes/styles also, could be causing the excessive valve-train rocker noise... seen it happen... were the push-rods part of a "camshaft kit" {from Hughes ??} for a specific head, head gasket thickness, cam, rocker, combo ??, before your current camshaft, head, gasket thickness, rocker combos... could be a cause of the valve-train noise... I think I remember you saying you have a Hughes camshaft, allegedly they did have a bunch of cams & complaints {all over the MoPar related forums, a few years back} at one time that they were going flat very fast, not properly heat treated or something along those lines, over a period of time, I hope you didn't get one of the bad ones, especially if it was more than 5-6-7 years ago, you got the camshaft & had the work done... a bent push-rod or rods. a dead locked up lifter or an over pumping lifter or a collapsed lifter also... do you still have the thermal/stove flapper in the iron exhaust manifolds, they are also known to make noise too, when the shaft get worn or the thermal expansion springs get weak... just spit ballen', trying to help...

Hope everything works out well with your muffler....:eusa_eh:

Sucks to hear you came this far to deal with these powerplant issues. Good luck down the road.

Auto Transport Service
Back