• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

OLD SCHOOL PHOTO's

Now I have to agree the NEW Challengers , Camaro's & Mustangs are nice cars . but now your compareing a New Challenger to a 1970 Plymouth Superbird even back in the day were an off the wall street freak once the winged cars did 200 mph + in NASCAR insurance co. would'nt even insure them . People could afford the car but not the insurance . Read alot of these post 16-17 year old kids buying 3-5 year old muscle cars , ( with there own money ) how many 16 year old kids do you see driving around in 05-07 Challengers & Mustangs,ect. & now you must have Ins. it's no option . It's not the same In my opinion .

I love these old cars as much as the next guy but I guess you have not kept up on the latest NEW cars available. Mustangs, Camaros and Challengers. All rear wheel drive and available with a varity of engines that will compete with the factory engines of back in the day.

We now have 6 cylinders with 300 h.p. and 6 liter engines with 450 h.p. from the factory. The only real differences are that many of these cars have traction control and varible timing that limits the tire ripping power that the old torque monsters had. The up side is that it puts more USEABLE power to the road making for a faster car.

When you do the math of what the working man was making back in the day and what the cars cost then verses today, it is about the same.

You can buy one of the above cars and drive it daily, take it to the track on the weekends, gets better mileage then the old cars, more comfort, more luxury items and have factory warranty.

The way that I see it, things have come full circle back to the 60s plus.

This has actually hurt the old car market because today you can have all of the above PLUS any new car nealership will finance these cars where it is much more difficult to do on the old cars.

I am going to have to dissagree. No "kid" with a decent job for a kid can afford a brand new 400+ hp RWD muscle car. If I were a kid straight out of highschool in 1970, I could go to my local dealership and order any kind of musclecar, bare bones or high optioned. Nowadays a 411 HP Mustang GT will run $30k. Nobody can afford a $30k car while making $10/hr. Thats why you see dumb kids with Hondas. $300 a week can buy you a stupid $17k Civic.

Me and my '68 at Ft Bragg about Oct 69
steves68charger.gif

steves68chargerjan1970ftbragg.gif

'71 Duster 340 4 speed and 1st wife May 1, 1971. Both gone in 4 years.
MyALLorange71Duster3404sp.gif

I love the slotted mags that so many of the cars in these pics are wearing...wish I could get some 15" slots for my Belvedere!
Those are Ansen Sprints on both cars. It took me 6 months to get those made for the Charger and they leaked thru the rims. I eventually used a rubberized paint to coat the inside of the rim and they finally would hold air.

Old school.......

I guess you have not kept up on the latest NEW cars available. Mustangs, Camaros and Challengers. All rear wheel drive and available with a varity of engines that will compete with the factory engines of back in the day.

This is all true.... but your missing the point of the thread. The subject is nostelga... not a "new vs. old" comparison.

While the new generation musclecars will out perform the old Supercars of the 60's/70's they don't really capture the sensation of standing on the throttle of a 68 Hemi Road Runner... or 69 A12 6BBL... or a 69 Hurst Olds.

Cost wise.... It took a pretty good job to come up with the $3500./$4000 it took to buy a new car in 69.

In the 60's very few people concidered collectability or investment when purchasing a car. They got used...!!! Fast forward to 2050 and I bet it will be much easier to locate a 2010 Challenger in pristine original condition then finding a comparable 1970 Challenger today.

I like the new musclecars too and am glad to see the heritage carried forward. But (IMHO), I am also "old school" and perfer a car I have to "drive" rather then just ride in.

The slotted mags are really cool I have a pair of 15in slots but cant find another pair . They do sell them new threw Summit & others

now I know why....I log on to this site.....
now I know why I still want to drive an old B body, that handels like
crap no power steering, no power brakes, 4 speed that has a throw
2 1/2 feet!! etc.
thank you all,
Sonny Black

Pic 1 69.jpg

This photo was taken in 1972, the 69 RR belong to a very good friend, Gary Barbaries from NY LI. I was the pit crew guy who changed out the carbs from 2 to 4 so that he could race in two different brackets. The photo was taken at New York National Speedway in Moriches Long Island NY. I couldn’t afford the $3,400 for a new 69 RR back then but I sure have one now……………..

Pic 1 69.jpg

Last edited:
I love these threads. I will throw some down now. Oh and by the way, you can keep your airbags, traction control, 500 pounds of sound deadner. 8 gagillion watt stereo, ABS, and whatever crap they put on now to numb the driving experience. I prefer the mechanical feel of these awesome cars. First up a 68 Road Runner 383 four speed (thought it was too rusty and sold it) in front of my house in 1997. Then its my 68 Charger original 318 car but I put a 440 HP auto in it no rust car. Up next 69 Dart original /6 car but someone had put a 383 in it and street raced it throughout the 70s and 80s then I bought it and put a 440 in it. Lastly is a 70 Superbird that I uncovered in Westminster Ca in a backyard, it had 60k original miles and was quite the urban legend around here. I just about lost my mind when the guy walked into the gas station I worked at and sold it to me for $8k. I want to go on record that I am a total dumbass for letting each and every one of these go.

Attachments

• sc0005a4de.jpg
    sc0005a4de.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 1,167
  • sc000bcce9.jpg
    sc000bcce9.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 1,160
  • sc0005286b.jpg
    sc0005286b.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 1,162
  • sc00004f8f.jpg
    sc00004f8f.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 1,202
  • sc00003be8.jpg
    sc00003be8.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 1,168
Some more of the superbird.

Attachments

• superbird1-2.jpg
    superbird1-2.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 1,172
  • sc0006c0f6.jpg
    sc0006c0f6.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 1,153
  • superbird5.jpg
    superbird5.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 1,173
  • superbird4.jpg
    superbird4.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 1,145
I guess you have not kept up on the latest NEW cars available. Mustangs, Camaros and Challengers. All rear wheel drive and available with a varity of engines that will compete with the factory engines of back in the day.

This is all true.... but your missing the point of the thread. The subject is nostelga... not a "new vs. old" comparison.

While the new generation musclecars will out perform the old Supercars of the 60's/70's they don't really capture the sensation of standing on the throttle of a 68 Hemi Road Runner... or 69 A12 6BBL... or a 69 Hurst Olds.

Cost wise.... It took a pretty good job to come up with the $3500./$4000 it took to buy a new car in 69.

In the 60's very few people concidered collectability or investment when purchasing a car. They got used...!!! Fast forward to 2050 and I bet it will be much easier to locate a 2010 Challenger in pristine original condition then finding a comparable 1970 Challenger today.

I like the new musclecars too and am glad to see the heritage carried forward. But (IMHO), I am also "old school" and perfer a car I have to "drive" rather then just ride in.

Naw, I didn't miss the point. I was just responding to another guys post.

I have two old muscle cars and The Little Red Truck so it is not like I am dissing the thread OR the cars. I am just remarking as to how it has come full circle after 40 plus years. The guys that are buying the new muscle cars are the same type of buyers that were buying OUR cars when they were new and for all of the same reasons except that the new ones have more comfort items.

I love these threads. I will throw some down now. Oh and by the way, you can keep your airbags, traction control, 500 pounds of sound deadner. 8 gagillion watt stereo, ABS, and whatever crap they put on now to numb the driving experience. I prefer the mechanical feel of these awesome cars. First up a 68 Road Runner 383 four speed (thought it was too rusty and sold it) in front of my house in 1997. Then its my 68 Charger original 318 car but I put a 440 HP auto in it no rust car. Up next 69 Dart original /6 car but someone had put a 383 in it and street raced it throughout the 70s and 80s then I bought it and put a 440 in it. Lastly is a 70 Superbird that I uncovered in Westminster Ca in a backyard, it had 60k original miles and was quite the urban legend around here. I just about lost my mind when the guy walked into the gas station I worked at and sold it to me for $8k. I want to go on record that I am a total dumbass for letting each and every one of these go.

a really big dumb *** for the letting the superbird go big big big dumb *** love you chris LOL

Here is me only picture I could find early 70s 68 Cuda. I sold the 67 Gtx to buy it. Its been a long road since then

Attachments

• CUDA.jpg
    CUDA.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 1,082
a really big dumb *** for the letting the superbird go big big big dumb *** love you chris LOL

Your a jerk Stuie. A really accurate one but still a jerk. :rolling::poke:

By the way I was too young to have really old pics so I put up ones from the 80s and early 90s. Hope you guys dont mind. I love all the old pics though keep them coming!!

Your a jerk Stuie. A really accurate one but still a jerk. :rolling::poke:

By the way I was too young to have really old pics so I put up ones from the 80s and early 90s. Hope you guys dont mind. I love all the old pics though keep them coming!!

oh yeah i forgot to tell you what a dumb *** you were for selling your superbird :icon_lol:

Can't see much of the GTX, but a vintage pic of my former self, back in 1984. I'm the tall dude in the light blue shorts...

pascagoulamspartyattoms.jpg

Here's a few from the "Good O'le Days".....:happy1:

Attachments

• scan0009.jpg
    scan0009.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 995
  • scan0013.jpg
    scan0013.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 1,063
  • scan0008.jpg
    scan0008.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 1,031
  • Scan0037.jpg
    Scan0037.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 1,006
  • Scan0036.jpg
    Scan0036.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 1,015
  • Scan0052.jpg
    Scan0052.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 1,001
  • Scan0014.jpg
    Scan0014.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 1,006
  • Scan0017.jpg
    Scan0017.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 991
  • scan0007.jpg
    scan0007.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 1,001
  • scan0006.jpg
    scan0006.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 978
  • scan0005.jpg
    scan0005.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 1,030
Great Pics! Here are a few of mine. These are from around 1982. They are all the same car (the engine compartment was the original deep burnt orange - not the repaint black). Note the "cool" decals on the air cleaner - LOL - the things some of us did back then.
View attachment 45322

GTX + 013 - Copy.jpg

GTX + 030 - Copy.jpg

GTX + 033 - Copy.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back