• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

On my way to meet my car buddies

The rods are crap. Typical Chinesium issue....
I don't have the starvation issue these days, mostly because there's an old factory pushrod in the engine now.
I've still got a brand new Howard's pushrod hanging on my pegboard in the shop that I never even tried
because reports from here said it also was crap, like the Comp one is.
I hear you about the Chinese thing, but what bothers me the most is that both of the push rods that wore down in my engines were good ol factory units.

Sorry to see the failure, but glad you found it. In a driver application I really enjoy having a simple mechanical pump, but I feel I am taking a chance of this happening compared to an electric with a return.

Sorry to see the failure, but glad you found it. In a driver application I really enjoy having a simple mechanical pump, but I feel I am taking a chance of this happening compared to an electric with a return.
I used to use an electric pump for a short time and have since switched back to a mechanical Carter after seeing 2 of my fellow local mopar friends stranded roadside due to a failed electric pump. It seems failure due to either is quite possible.

Did the cam swap yesterday.. Pulled the old cam out and one lobe was wiped. But the weird thing was there was minimal ware on the fuel pump lobe. Which is odd since it ate 2 or 3 pump rods. I guess that goes to show you they suck. Turns out I think his 440 also burn a couple valves. After installing the cam and lifters and getting it all set back up it was still running like crap popping and just making some weird noises. Pretty sure the heads are destroyed. I'll be pulling the engine soon and replacing it with another 440 this 440 will be coming to my house for a complete tear down to find out what happened to it.

Auto Transport Service
Back