• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

One Plug looks lean, one is wet with fuel

Don Trombley

Local time
5:19 PM
Reaction score
I have a 440 six pack that was just started & run in last fall. The car has not been driven yet. I just pulled the plugs to check things out. Number 5 cylinder plug looks quite lean compared to it’s neighbors. Number 8 cylinder plug (not shown) looks wet and smells of gas after sitting for several weeks without starting. Probably two separate problems. Any thoughts?
248E2EED-C40E-4E8D-95AF-CA3EDDB482AD.jpeg
69F62C37-62F5-4F93-98E0-442B9F2DDFFB.jpeg

Started and "run in" last Fall and never driven. Plugs aren't going to tell you anything... Drive it and if it runs right, continue to drive it. Haven't pulled the plugs on my Bird in 32 years.

What @dadsbee said. My great grandfather said only change plugs once you notice a dip in gas mileage.

I think your "lean plug" looks right. The others looks "slightly" rich/idle fouled.....but as mentioned already, that means nothing with so few miles. I have no idea about #8??? Put some new plugs in (since those are out), drive and enjoy

Dry out any fuel fouled plugs because a wet plug will not fire. If it gets 'wet' again & it is just one plug, the plug is probably faulty. Or the lead for that plug or arcing inside/on the dist cap.

Auto Transport Service
Back