• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Open carb spacer

MWFan

Local time
1:17 PM
Reaction score
I have had a heat soak problem on my 64 Polara with a 440 Magnum clone motor. I just put a 1 in. open phenolic spacer under the carb, not a good one, an Ebay cheapy because I wasn't certain it would help. I was surprised to notice a power increase off the bottom and well into the midrange on my "seat of the pants" dyno.
The motor is built to be a Magnum clone, 9.5/1 compression, 452 heads, Mopar dual plane intake, 484/284 Purple cam, Edelbrock 600.
I don't think it's my imagination. It has been a bit cooler today so maybe thats why the heat soak problem seems to be cured. If it actually IS cured, this $18 phenolic spacer may be the best bang for the buck part I ever bought.

Bernie

The seat of the pants dyno can be surprisingly accurate. If the engine likes the spacer all good.

I have the wooden ones under my 600's (dual quads) and I haven't had any heat soak even on real hot days. Useing an old cast iron intake. Having the cross over blocked off will help too.

I have the wooden ones under my 600's (dual quads) and I haven't had any heat soak even on real hot days. Useing an old cast iron intake. Having the cross over blocked off will help too.
Thanks KK. It already had the risers blocked. I hope it works as good for me.

Auto Transport Service
Back