• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

OPINIONS ON GARAGE INSULATION???

Wiring problems ??? Not if you did it right !!!

Anyhow, my vote goes to Roxul. Its a little more money but worth it in my opinion. Don't forget the vapor barrier !!

Perhaps you still plan on this:
*Install the sheet metal protectors on the face of the studs so no-one can easily put a screw or nail into the wire where it penetrates the stud.

your biggest heat loss will be from the doors and windows. It looks like about 25% of your total wall s.f. r value will be insulated by glass and doors. i would focus on getting the overhead door r value up and the doors sealed. put a temporary styrofoam plug over the window.
I foam packed my overhead door cores and put wall paneling over them . It can be -30 outside and my shop will be 60+ inside.

i did the foam as posted earlier, i framed and osb the walls and currently drywalling ceiling. at 8 pm 2 nights ago the shop was heated to 60 degrees went out the next morning it was 49 with the heat turned off at 8pm the night before overnight low was 17 degrees. when the drywall is taped, and osb is caulked is should do better with the sealed dead air space
20231128_142837 (1).jpg

I used spray-in cellulose. Locally, folks seem to think it’s great. Seems fine, but don’t have anything to compare it to.

Like mentioned earlier, I focused on the doors and windows.

Tough to trace a water leak with spray foam. Ask me how I know. Also remember to consider conductive heat/cold when installing.

Tough to trace a water leak with spray foam. Ask me how I know. Also remember to consider conductive heat/cold when installing.
I’m curious what you did to track it down, was it a screw that missed wood, window leak due tell ?

Roof leaking, ran behind the insulation 10 or 12 feet over and leaking on the floor. Had to cut away insulation until I found the leak. Wasn't exactly sure where the leak was so I setup yard sprinklers on the roof and spraying on the walls. Was able to get enough flow thru the leak to trace it. Real PIA.

Bought a house in the last year and one of the inspections that was available was for moisture.
Decided it was worthwhile and had the guy come out. I followed him around and he told me that there are camera's that can see moisture through the walls.
Why didn't I know that 3 years ago? Would have made finding the leak behind the spray foam much easier to find.

BTW the roof leak was from a broken screws that looked good until you put a driver on them and figured out they were broken off inside and were not clamping the roof panel joints. Allowed hard rain to seep inside. I think there were 6 or 7 broken screws.

My entire house as well as the garage are insulated with spray foam, the garage ceiling is blown in cellulose to R34. Even in subzero weather the furnace doesn’t seem to run much.

Yes I to have a metal garage with spray foam wouldn’t change it, but your idea about the infer red camera would be a great idea. Saw 2 pinholes fro Screws in wrong locations they eventually moved. So far been threw 2 seasons but spraw foam can also seal holes also.
67961912785__237735C9-9E42-4527-A442-EBFAD3E229BE.jpeg
67961914451__B33BBC74-2C36-4BAF-807A-BED374EA61C0.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back